Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Soil Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Not everyone is as good a codger as you Bob. server won't recognize lesser codgers. I aint sayin nothin yet cause you guys are giving me a lot to think about. And I appreciate it.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Dear Mr. Hail-

Per out conversation, the reason we make the comment pertaining to Chlorine is due to tobacco is Chlorine sensitive. The 2 major side effects is poor curing and poor leaf characteristic ( “wet dog”). Most Agronomist will recommend that you use Potassium Sulfate as your fertilizer source for Potash, since it is low in Cl. The comment does not have anything to do with Microbial activity. The 2-3% Cl would only amount to 40 lbs per acre. Chlorine is not considered in the soil until it reaches an level of over 200 lbs/A;

I called the testing outfit they sent me an email

BarG

Founding Member
Not everyone is as good a codger as you Bob. server won't recognize lesser codgers. I aint sayin nothin yet cause you guys are giving me a lot to think about. And I appreciate it.

I'll say this" the local feed store sells pelletized ag lime by 50lb. bag and no they don't carry recommended fertilizer mix. Have not checked Bryan tx. co-op which is a major supplier for this area yet." They'l mix anything you want, just throw money.

BarG

Founding Member
I called the testing outfit they sent me an email

What about combustability.

New thread starter : Combustability of tobacco, reasons for poor or superior combustability.

When I grow up I wanna be a tobacco grower.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Poor combustibility is usually from too much chlorides. Some tobacco naturally burns at a different rate. Virginia Gold burns really fast whereas Xanthi Yaka burns really.. really s l o w. So slow in fact that its hard to keep it lit.

BarG

Founding Member
I would like to see a thread on this cause my monte burns that way reeeaaaly slow, I have to mix vith better burning varietys to smoke it. It seems to improve a bit with age but i'm wondering if it was something I did or the extreme drought cond. it was grown. After color cured you could hold a match to it and the match would go out before the tobacco burned, Its burning better now when in low case. Ageing seems to help. My first thoughts were the same as yours Jitterbugdude but I don't see how that happened.

BarG

Founding Member
Do chlorides show up in soil test, I asked for them to test for chlorides.It may not have been included in the general test . I stated I would be growing veg. and tobacco.

prairiefarmer

I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth. I raise 1,100 acres of corn and soybeans here in Illinois so I deal with soil tests on a regular basis. First of all make sure you test your soil in the EXACT same spot every time you test it. We actually do all of ours on the farm with GPS that is accurate to within 1 inch. You're not really comparing apples to apples if you test in different spots every time. Secondly we test our soil at a depth of 6-8 inches because they tell us it is more accurate.If you sample too deep it could be a little misleading because it may take a few years for the nutrients that you put on to reach the 10-12 inch level and sometimes they may not reach that level because the plant uses it before it can leach down that far. Another route you could go for PH is pelletized lime. It's a lot more readily available than standard lime. It's a little more pricey, but it definately works a lot faster.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the leaf is too moist, it will burn poorly.
If the leaf isn't ready yet (too little aging, or not kilned), it may burn poorly. If the surface is even slightly sticky, it's not ready.
If the leaf has too much chloride (from the soil), it will burn poorly.
If the leaf variety does not naturally produce a favorable ratio of combustibles (e.g. Xanthi Yaka), it may burn poorly.
If a cigar is packed too tightly, it will burn poorly.

The Xanthi is supposed to be that way. You just blend it with a better burner.

I can't think of any more causes, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Bob, would you mind if I sent you some samples from lower leaves to tops to get a real time evaluation.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Send away. Be sure to identify what you're sending, and how it's been handled/processed. (Note: I shouldn't lift over 40 pounds.)

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Don't worry I couldn't afford the shipping. I'll do my best as far as most all was primed, however the novice in me may confuse th lower and middle leaves, will that screw you up, I also have some shade grown monte that will be obvious when you see. The tops are not a problem..How much sample should I send Lbs. wise... I'm finding lower leaves were treated with greatest care and progresses down from there. I will send a sizable sample.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a couple of leaves of each. Don't pick the very best. I want your average leaf.

Your "monte" is Mont Calme Yellow? Or is it Mont Calme Brun?

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I believe that is yet to be determined. I'll send as per your request though and maybe you can shed some light.

Status
Not open for further replies.