Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spalting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
There has been a Question asked of Me three times this month. Spalting? And it went from mold, to am I doing something wrong, to shall I pitch it in the can?..... Cigars will spalt. if keeped in the perfect humidor enviroment! The spalting comes with age! It will show in (perfect conditions) as "WHITE SPOTS". It is not- and say is not mold!!! It is the leaf comeing to perfection with time. (AGE) ? Now what the defanition of spalt is for cigars??????????? The Mad Oshe'a -

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
"Spalting" is generally used to refer to wood that has mineral streaks or discoloration caused by fungus.

spaltingh.jpg spalt.jpg

I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is called "plume". I'm not exactly sure, but I suspect plume is a type of efflorescence. The minerals in the cigar migrate to the outside of the wrapper and accumulate. This condition is often mistaken as mold.

images
plume.jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
You just hit the nail on the head! Spalting on a stick starts at the vein of the stick first, in show. Plume, is in full glory. It will show as small to tinny dots/spots, to 1/8 inch dots when fully aged.(I'v seen 1/4") It shows up on whole leaf stored as well.. Older is better. Thanks for the pics. and the answer I was looking to give Our cigar Folks Don! Mad- So with that said. Don't think it is mold, if You take care of it. The Mad man- The flavor on a spalted stick is second to none..............

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
In all tobacco, it is bloom. I was trying to get Folks to think. Bloom or mold? It is the same in pipe tobacco, Snus and chew. Just what did I see in My baccy?.... Bloom or mold? Mad-

Status
Not open for further replies.