Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Izmir Ozbas slow to mature

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
My burleys and bright leafs strains have all been prime picked about 2 months ago, and fully air-cured now. But the Izmir is still green on the stalk, except for a few lower leaves.
Anyone else have a problem with Izmir being slow to mature?
Last year, this same Izmir leaf matured and was primed about same time as the Bright leaf strains.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Re: Izmir Ozbos slow to mature

Yep, my Izmir and Tekekoy took several weeks longer than the rest of the varieties I grew. Both are very tasty in a pipe and I haven't even kilned them yet.

istanbulin

Founding Member
May be you're waiting for a distinct maturity (?). A pale green colored leaf may be ready for picking.

vinconco

I have about 25 that are doing much the same thing. I checked them today when I harvested the remainder of the Burley and Catterton and the upper half is still green but the leaves are thick and heavy. I'm pile curing (yellowing) some now that have been in the stack for a week and still green. We have had super low humidity for the last few weeks here so I'm yellowing everything in piles before I hang it. I had a late plant date of 6/28/14

Planter

I´m growing that Lebanese strain from Skychaser (which is said to mature very early compared to Ozbas). Started seed in February, planted out in April (managed to survive several late frosts). No fertilization. Early on, things were going amazingly fast. In July I thought I´m going to finish harvest soon. Then August and September were dark, wet and rather cool. Still half of the leaves are on the plants, with no sign of ripeness. I hope for two sunny weeks.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
The few lower leaves that I've picked were air-cured to yellow (or at least an attempt to air-cure). then finish sun-cured.
Leaf that was at least partially already curing on the plant did well through this cure.
Leaf that were only yellow-spotted, pastel lighter green, brown to yellow tips and edges, i.e., what are signs of maturity on burleys or bright leaf, were the ones that dried green during the air-cure. I think I'm going to just let the leaf cure on the plant.

rainmax

Founding Member
My Izmir-Ozbas has 45 leaves on the plant. Lover six are yellow all other pale green. He start making bud head few days ago. Far away from opening flowers. I only have one plant and it is beautiful. Leaf has amazing form with a nice edge. Next year I will grow it in special Location. I hope I will collect some seeds this year. This is the only plant that hasn't flowering yet. Opposite was Tekekoy which was first of all the tobaccos. I Smoke it in cigarette blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.