Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Crock Pot replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

Hello,

I am building my kiln right now and I am still looking for suitable heat source for it. At first I though I will use heating spiral (for ovens for example) but despite turning off by thermostat it would be still too hot and warming air in kiln.
So I was looking for a crock pot. But crock pots here are too expensive. I found some electrical pan which has built in thermostat from 32°F to 428°F. I would fill it with water so it could work just like your crock pots. But my question is: What temp should I set for the pan? I am bit confused because your crock pots say just "Low" and "High" (inner temperature in kiln would be regulated by another thermostat off course).

Thanks

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would experiment. Set it for 120F and put a thermometer inside. Adjust according to the thermometer reading. What size is your kiln? If not too big you could use a light bulb. I built a kiln once that was about 4 feet x 4ft x 3 ft and I could easily maintain 120f with a 100 watt light bulb. You could also look to a chicken growing/ farm supply store and purchase a 250 watt bulb if you need more heat.

gargynko

Kiln is built of old cabinet. It is cca 120x40x170 cm. I plan kilning tobacco in sealed bags so humidity source is not so important. I am just trying to find suitable source of heat. What do you think about infra bulbs??

Bex

I believe that for kilning, the temperature is usually set at 120F. If your pan has a thermostat range of temperature, then there is already a thermostat in it, no?? The crockpot needs the thermostat, as whether you are on low or high, the idea of it is to get up to about 212F to simmer food - low just takes longer, but the temperature would be the same for both. I'm not sure how your set up would work with, essentially, two thermostats working the same pan - I have found that such 'analog' thermostats have a pretty wide range, meaning that if you set it for, say 120F, it may actually be 125F or more when the thermostat turns it off. As it's unlikely that both thermostats you would use would be regulated the same, they would be possibly be turning each other on and off pretty regularly. Is it not possible for you to order a crockpot on the internet and have it delivered to your country? That's what I had to do.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The pan on a second thermostat would be limited by whichever thermostat reached its limit first. If you set an outer thermostat to 125ºF, and the pan to 120ºF, then it would work just fine, and stay within a reasonable range.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If crock pots are too expensive than you haven't been to your thrift store yet. 2 bucks a piece at mine

Brown Thumb

A cheap turkey roaster? I bought one for my chamber but never tried it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i use a radiator oil filled type heater for my kiln.....

and it is working perfect....just make sure the leaf is colour cured before putting the leaves in there, or they will dry green.

it has a 3 stage setting, and a thermostat....

but as stated, i set it and look at the thermometer,,,,until i get the constatnt desired temp. i want,,,,i like for it to ride, at 110 degrees,

and on rainy days ill shut it down, and open the door, to let the leaves get moisture absorbed into them,,,, then cook em stiff again,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered two 150W infrared bulbs I hope it will be enough..what would you say??
It depends almost entirely on the efficiency of your insulation. Each of my kilns runs on a 2-quart Crockpot, set to low. So they are being heated with ~75 Watts each.

Bob

DrBob

Founding Member
Hello,

I am building my kiln right now and I am still looking for suitable heat source for it. At first I though I will use heating spiral (for ovens for example) but despite turning off by thermostat it would be still too hot and warming air in kiln.
So I was looking for a crock pot. But crock pots here are too expensive. I found some electrical pan which has built in thermostat from 32°F to 428°F. I would fill it with water so it could work just like your crock pots. But my question is: What temp should I set for the pan? I am bit confused because your crock pots say just "Low" and "High" (inner temperature in kiln would be regulated by another thermostat off course).

Thanks
180f. or 95c. just below boiling point. 210f. or 99c. would be just fine too. crock pots do not have a thermostat. just a cheap rheostat'
'.

ArizonaDave

I'm wondering if all I have to do in Arizona is follow your Trash Can thread, stripped down without the insulation, add a container of water at the bottom, and let the Natural Heat of the desert cure my leaves?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering if all I have to do in Arizona is follow your Trash Can thread, stripped down without the insulation, add a container of water at the bottom, and let the Natural Heat of the desert cure my leaves?
"Trash Can thread" sounds so...trashy. It may work. Here in southwest Virginia, a bare, galvanized, closed trash can left out in the sun seems to hover around 115ºF, when it's ~80ºF ambient temp. In the Arizona sun, you would have to do some measurements, and probably pick your times or seasons. Maybe utilize a shading device or shade cloth.

Bob

ArizonaDave

"Trash Can thread" sounds so...trashy. It may work. Here in southwest Virginia, a bare, galvanized, closed trash can left out in the sun seems to hover around 115ºF, when it's ~80ºF ambient temp. In the Arizona sun, you would have to do some measurements, and probably pick your times or seasons. Maybe utilize a shading device or shade cloth.

Bob

Bob, I apologize for the use of the word "Trash". Of course, it would be "brand new" galvanized. I would have to have the temp% gauge attached, and of course, the bracket to hang leaf. It's possible it could reach 165*F here. I don't know what would happen if it got above that. Hmmm......any recommendations on the shading cloth?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Get a trash can, and mount a thermometer. Then gather data.

It's not suitable for flue-curing, since the temp would drop each night. That kind of fluctuation would not matter for kilning, though for the kiln should not go over 130ºF. Perhaps a wooden lath structure would work for shade. Shade cloth is available from most large garden suppliers (e.g. http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/s...archDefaultPerPage=50&searchQuery=shade+cloth).

Bob

Bigdog

I am trying that at the moment with a black plastic trashdrum. Our ambient temp averages between 45° at night up to 86° during the day this time of the year. The temp inside the drum stays between 60° at night up to 117° during the day. By 8 o clock in the morning it is at 110° and it stays above that intill at least 10 o clock at night, I havent checked after that.

gargynko

So guys, I have been kilning my tobacco for 2 weeks now. Heat source is air heater with fan. I placed leaves into air tight bags in low case but despite that leaves getting dry circumeferentially. Today, after those 2 weeks I triad smoke it. It is still too harsh. And I dont mean high in nicotine but it is harsh to inhalate... I am little confused. I though after 2 weeks its characteristic will get better but almost nothing changed.

Its taste reminds me cheap cigar I ve smoked.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The leaf needs to stay in at least low case most of the time during kilning. Usually 4 weeks of kilning is required, sometimes longer. Then...then it needs to rest out of the kiln for at least a few days, sometimes a few weeks.

Bob

grgfinney

I find that you will not notice a significant change in aroma till after the 3rd week, I'm with Bob it needs the whole 4 weeks sometimes 6 weeks then let it rest before smoking it

Status
Not open for further replies.