Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone got a mint/menthol snus recipe ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

Does anyone have a mint/menthol snus recipe ? ? or even a chew/dip ? ?

Im getting ready to make a batch and wondering how far the menthol crystals and mint oils (methyl saclicylate) go ? ?

DGBAMA

I don't know about the oils, but with menthol crystals, a little goes a long way. An easy menthol caseing is 1oz vodka and 1/4tsp crystals which dissolve easily. Start with a small amount and adjust to taste, you can always add, cannot take away.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

About how much tobacco will that case (in the ball park) ? ? ?

And would you happen to know the weight of 1/4 tsp menthol crystals ? ? ?

Thanks

DGBAMA

About how much tobacco will that case (in the ball park) ? ? ?

And would you happen to know the weight of 1/4 tsp menthol crystals ? ? ?

Thanks

A lot, a lb or better.

Can get overwhelming in a hurry. Put it in a fine mist/spritzer sprayer and spray a few times then let it rest/absorb at least 12hrs. Try it, if not enough, repeat process. When you like it, use the total number of sprays on the next batch.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

I plan on using PG instead of alcohol , So i dont think a sprayer will work, But my plan is to use a needle less insulin syringe to measure a stock solution , and keep notes

but If I get un-even distrubtion I guess alcohol will have to do

squeezyjohn

With snus - it's a regular plain snus recipe (tobacco, water, salt, sodium or potassium carbonate) - and add the flavourings afterwards. I would tend towards a lighter flavoured tobacco base for a minty one - and maybe add a little sweetness in the original snus by adding a little xylitol or root liquorice powder in the beginning of the recipe.

For flavouring I would use a mix of peppermint and spearmint oils with a little menthol crystals diluted in alcohol.

Sorry I don't have a recipe with amounts in it. I'm not a fan of mint flavoured snus so haven't tried that one.

ArizonaDave

I was looking at Silver River tobacco at http://www.northwoodseeds.com and here is a description:

Silver River The exact classification of this tobacco is unknown, but it is probably a descendant of a white stemmed Burley. Little is known about its history or development but it is said to have originated in Brazil. The leaves are long and pointed, and can be from 30 to 36 inches in length and up to 20 inches wide. It grows to over 7 feet in height. It is a late maturing type with blooms occurring at 90-95 days. The leaves turn a lemon yellow as they ripen and it is very easy to cure. The leaves air cure a light brown and produce a medium flavored mild smoke. Some growers report a slight mint or menthol taste, while others do not. This could be due to local soils or growing conditions.

OR:
http://shop.lorannoils.com

Matty

I have menthol crystals for making menthol cigarettes. I don't even add menthol to the tobacco. All I do is put a crystal or 2 in my cig case and in 2-3 hours the cigs are mentholated. If there are still cigs left in the case after my work day I have to take the crystals out or the menthol gets strong enough to turn my stomach. I also spruce up store bought chew with wintergreen oil. About 10 drops in half tsp 188 proof drinking alcohol for 1 skoal container of chew. Mint gets strong fast so take it easy at first, you can always add more later on.

DGBAMA

I noticed a cedar like taste from smoking it, I don't know if it would be there chewing it.

I notice similar. Taste/aroma is definitely unique to the variety. I happen to like the flavor, but it is so unique that some people will not like it at all.

For me, it is a fabulous producer, easy cure, and tastes good. Win-win in my book.

leverhead

I notice similar. Taste/aroma is definitely unique to the variety. I happen to like the flavor, but it is so unique that some people will not like it at all...

I haven't been able to warm up to it, it's an unexpected tobacco taste. The plant is pretty enough to be a front yard plant.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Don't just limit yourself to a mint type flavor. There is cinnamon/ apple extract, anise, which makes a nice black licorice flavor, there is maple flavor extract.. and so on.
Silver River will not give you a menthol taste when chewed.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
No, it won't. It will however hold the flavor well that is added, I have found. The mint type of flavor is in the burn. It has a large, smooth leaf great for both. Mad-

RyanM22

Jitterbug - What's the consistency of these extracts?

RyanM22

Mad - Any input is appreciated. I'm trying to grasp the difference in 'extract' vs 'concentrate' when it comes to adding them to tobacco.

ArizonaDave

Mad - Any input is appreciated. I'm trying to grasp the difference in 'extract' vs 'concentrate' when it comes to adding them to tobacco.

I can't answer for those guys. I have used different alcohols in the past. My favorite is Rum + Vanilla extract. About ⅔ to ⅓ Vanilla, since it's the extract. I tried an Apple liquor, with positive results. The oils I haven't gotten into yet, but they should be close to some Jonathan Drew flavor, especially in the Acid line.

Of course, I'm talking about Cigars, but have used the Rum/Vanilla in dip too.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Jitterbug - What's the consistency of these extracts?

I typically use LorAnn concentrated oils. For Black Licorice I add some cocoa to the mix then spritz it with anise oil until it is good and wet. I do the same thing for apple/cinnamon. I use apple extract and cinnamon extract, also from LorAnn. I like my dip VERY sweet so I use a fair amount of pure powdered Sucralose along with a little bit of Xylitol for its anit-cavity effect.

Note that there are two types of Anise oil sold. One is "Anise" which is the real thing. The other is "Star Anise" which is not in the anise family. The main ingredient that gives it that licorice flavor is anethol. Star Anise has almost as much as Anise oil. To me, I can not tell the difference.

POGreen

The big tobacco company in the country where I live used alcohol to spice especially their snus , I know that for a fact.
Each and every snus was given their very own blend/mix of this and that.
It was not just for any worker to perform this task in that factory , just a few men in management/directorship where allowed to open up the specific cubicle/small room to make the blend of snus.

Status
Not open for further replies.