Curious German Tobacco Fermentation Chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious Tobacco Fermentation Chamber - Germany

FermentationsKammer_tabakanbau_01.jpg

This is an interesting product from the http://www.tabakanbau.de website (German language). The two page pdf file is here:

http://www.tabakanbau.de/pub/33644-Datenblatt.pdf (German language)

FermentationsKammer_tabakanbau_02.jpg

FermentationsKammer_tabakanbau_03.jpg

It automatically regulates the temp between 120 and 131ºF, but appears to have no accommodation for supplying humidity. I guess that's provided by the spray bottle in the picture.

No price is listed, and it appears that the site is not currently offering it for sale. I found it interesting in that the cabinet itself appears to be a modified "dorm" refrigerator cabinet.

I can't help but wonder what it might cost to have a small manufacturer create a commercially available fermentation chamber, bigger than the above, and with humidity control (like an egg hatching incubator).

Bob

Daniel

Banned
Sweet , and yes humidity control would most likely be worth the added cost.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The humidity would be simple to add. There are commercial humidity detectors (for AC's) out there. So, one of them, a 1/4" copper tube hooked up to the house domestic water and a spray nozzle swiped from a Windex bottle and a little elbow grease should do the trick. A small circulating fan might be a good addition.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I believe this this chamber works similar like car coolers, mini bars etc. so it probably has a thermoelectric cooler, Peltier element which is mainly used as a cooler, can also heat the chamber up to 60-65 [SUP]o[/SUP]C (140-150 [SUP]o[/SUP]F). Temperature looks ideal for a tobacco kiln without a thermostat.

peltier02.jpg

Peltier element

If you have an old/cheap car cooler (or similar coolers with a Peltier element) you can turn it into a kiln easily. You just need to reverse the polarity of the Peltier element in it. In this way the hot and cold sides flip. An additional fan inside may be nice.

how about a small electric cabinet humidor humidifier , run the cord through a grommet to the outside.

USB powered (5V DC) ultrasonic humidifiers may work. You can watch the humidity with a hygrometer and shut the humidifier when the chamber reaches the desired humidity. The water in the glass also helps to maintain the humidity inside.

41wN0XZCjVL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

Ishi

I'm planning on using something similar, it's a pond fogger does the same thing but because it's 240v it can be run by one of these http://ebay.co.uk/itm/141354156007?nav=SEARCH

Link did not work I bought a 1 element fogger but had to buy a 3 element also because of the dry conditions most of the year in Northern Sacramento valley. With a RH controller off E-bay they work very well to cure primed leaf in a 6 X10 room.

Status
Not open for further replies.