Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

damn thats expensive to killl some aphids, the way the pros kill them/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

I bought some Orthene that Don recommends from Amazon. It was Twenty something dollars and comes in a granular form that you mix with water. I got it toward the end of the season so I didn't use it this year, but put it back for next year. The soap water just wasn't working for me. It seems like a good deal and according to reports will do a good job.
The active ingredient is Acephate. What's the active ingredient in the one you are looking at?
Wallace
I'm also use Orthene, its a good all round chemical, works well for worms etc. Iv,e got a huge leaf miner problem, potato tuber moth, Orthene is doing a okay job, not 100%, but its cheap! Its not regitered on tobacco anymore, used to be, but seeing that its my own tobacco I can use what I want.
Ben

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna use...we have products by "" hi-yield""...that says it kills aphids among other things..I may try it for a season.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Texasgrown

Ok I am going to give a shout out here. There are many things affecting native bees way more than insecticides on a tiny tobacco patch. Most of these are driven by the huge Industrial farming community and the apiary business. I digress, I have a small 150 tree orchard and honey company. You must spray fruit extensively unless you like eating bugs in your fruit for the most part( at least here in the south). Most orchards are treated for a plethora of fun critters some new and some old.
The trick is spraying before and after petal drop. If you have no flowers the bees won't mess with it. So for most of you tobacco guys if you are cutting flowers or bagging you should be ok with the bees and pollinators.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I decided to try some of the generic Admire like BigBonner uses. Add it to the transplant water and no aphids for the whole season. DGBAMA found a good source: http://www.keystonepestsolutions.co...ducts_id=247&gclid=CN7krOKN-cACFZJr7Aod_CkANA

I really like the price...but I won't be using floating trays..I guess when transplanting you add it to the dirt then???

I've got to get on top of these aphids...here in the dirty south..I got all bugs known to man.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'll be glad when I get my internet back on...I got some very cool pics to share with you guys.( I been using my phone for all my posting)

USHOG

Just soak the roots when you transplant them into the garden. It takes very little, an ounce did all of my plants last year(400)It works great, no aphids, saves lots of time. It also works on other plants in the garden. I wish it was this easy for other pests

Rickey60

Just soak the roots when you transplant them into the garden. It takes very little, an ounce did all of my plants last year(400)It works great, no aphids, saves lots of time. It also works on other plants in the garden. I wish it was this easy for other pests
How much did you put per gallon of water?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Yeah, BigB says add it to the water you use to water in your plants when you transplant. It goes right in the dirt. One time, done deal.

That is correct
You can also use it before transplant by watering the plants one time with Admire before transplanting .
This way it would possible to apply inside where bees are not allowed .

Texasgrown

Hey all this might help found a product recommended from one of you guys while looking for admire. It's generic is acephate 97up and runs very cheap. I think I paid 12 bux delivered for a 1lb bag and when you mix 1tsp per4 gallons for a sprayer I think it'll last a while. Anyways inside the instructions it is approved for the use of tobacco and has specific instructions to killcrawlers. Here are some snaps of the label. Says kills aphis stinkbug tobacco aphid and cutworms amongst a whole list of others. Anyone use this stuff?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 4

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well i ordered my seeds this weekend..

Next weekend im getting my aphid poision...i got plenty of hornworm killer left over from last year...

I got 200 lbs of 6-6-18...tobaccoo Fertilizer left over from last year..

Hell yeah im ready and stoked for this years grow,

DGBAMA

Yes and yes.

Hopefully watering in the starts with Admire does the job, but found a local source for Orthene (acephate) as "plan B", no mercy this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes and yes.

Hopefully watering in the starts with Admire does the job, but found a local source for Orthene (acephate) as "plan B", no mercy this year.

I'm starting the year with both also. Received my Macho (generic Admire) this week. Thanks for the link. If you need some let me know. I got a pint.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Macho" makes it sound like you're defending against a grizzly bear or a wild boar. "Admire" is a more harmonious sounding product name.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Whatever it takes...this year i will not tolerate the dreaded aphid on my plants. ..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well i aqquired some '' ADMIRE'' the farmer was using it on his future watermelon crop. and gave me a gatorade bottle full of it,

the thing is the mixing... i even called the company. [ to no advil ]... its mixing instructions are for a acre field or 1.000 plants.

knucklehead.. what does your pint bottle say about mixing.. im sure it has to be the same for what i got,

Status
Not open for further replies.