Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

damn thats expensive to killl some aphids, the way the pros kill them/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
well i aqquired some '' ADMIRE'' the farmer was using it on his future watermelon crop. and gave me a gatorade bottle full of it,

the thing is the mixing... i even called the company. [ to no advil ]... its mixing instructions are for a acre field or 1.000 plants.

knucklehead.. what does your pint bottle say about mixing.. im sure it has to be the same for what i got,

My Macho 2.0 calls for 1.4 fl. oz. per 1000 plants. BigBonner uses one cup of water per plant, so 1.4 fl. oz. of Macho per 1000 cups of water.... Let me do some calculations (involving a PM to Big for oz per gallon) :)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
By my Alabama ciphers and gazintas, I come up with 0.0224 fl. oz. of Macho per gallon of water. How do we measure fl. oz. that small?

Check my math. 16 cups per gallon. 1000 cups of water per 1000 plants. 1.4 fl. oz. Macho per 1000 plants.
1000 cups = 62.5 gallons.
1.4 fl. oz. divided by 62.5 = 0.0224 fl. oz. Macho per gallon of water.

What is used to measure 0.0224 fl. oz?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Reloading scales? 0.0224 fl. oz. = 9.8 grains
For a five gallon container, you will need 49 grains (3.2 grams) Admire to 5 gal. water. Each five gallon container will treat 80 plants.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Not sure if this helps but: 1.4 oz = 42cc. 1 Tablespoon = 15cc. Each tsp= 5cc. So if you divide 42cc by 10 you get .42cc which is a tenth of a tsp. You could probably use an 1/8 tsp to approximate 1/10th.
So 1/10th tsp of Macho added to 100 cups (6.25 gallons).

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
1/10th..of a teaspoon for 6 gallons of water...""ain't very.much""..I don't think you can overdose the plant..from what ive read its just a systemic product that is uptaken by the plant..and the plant can only take so much..so even though the mix may be strong say..1/2 cup per 5 gallons of water or less than a/1/2...should be fine if all that is needed is a 1/10th of a teaspoon...

It was also mentioning that you can add it to the plants while still in thier starting trays.,but im gonna do mine at transplanting time..and again after 2 months in the ground..

And then watch to see if i have aphids...ive had them every year so far

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
1/2 cup = 4 ounces = 118 cc (118 grams). So 1/2 cup of Admire in 5 gallons of water makes a solution 350 times what is recommended. Admire (imidacloprid) is toxic to bees and invertebrates. The excess will run-off into the ground water. That's not fine.

I would suggest that you at least get in the ballpark. e.g. 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons of water.

Bob

squeezyjohn

The best cure for aphids is a good healthy population of ladybirds (I think you call them ladybugs over there) ... you can buy the larvae if you don't have them naturally and they don't kill bees which are in serious decline worldwide due to pesticide use.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

BigBonner

Founding Member
Using Macho 1.4 to 2.8 oz 1,000 plants . One acre is 7200 plants . I use 10.8 oz ( more like round it to 11 oz ) added to 300 gallons of water , that's enough for one acre . That would equal 0.037 oz of Macho per gallon of water
It is applied to the roots and covered up by the tobacco setter .

There is several generics out there and some call for different amounts . Admire is almost twice as strong .

Boboro

I got it ordered. Was gona get BT too butt it was $300. I hope I can get it local. Couldn't last year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well..all the info. On measuring ammounts have been very helpfull..

So i guess I'll be putting a very little amount of admire to 5 gallons of water...

It just baffles me at how a teaspoon of anything mixed with 5 gallons of water..wouldn't be too diluted..to do its job?????

Ben Brand

Got a tip from one of the boffs where I stay, for aphids. He said I must use citrus oil, something like (wetcit ) an citrus oil based wetting agent, didn`t use it. Was very happy with Orthene, all I used, had no ball worm or aphids.
Good luck
Ben

BigBonner

Founding Member
Ben

The admire is taken up by the roots and works form the inside of the plant .No wetting agent needed .

Ben Brand

BB will look into that, don't know if we get all the pesticides you guys get???
I must say Orthene kept every pest in their place this year, I had ball worm on only one of my plants this year, no aphids and much less leaf borer. I sprayed every week with Orthene as was well pleased.

USHOG

admire works and doesn't take very much at all to treat 1000 plants. I would pay whatever it took to not have to wipe and spray off hundreds of tobacco plants just way to time consuming. Plus I do not like to share my tobacco with critters. Aphids just suck almost as much as trying to grow wrapper with squash bugs leaving holes everywhere. At least here if I harvest in June the worms haven't arrived yet. Its always something when farming that is for sure

DGBAMA

I found Admire at my local Co-Op by reading labels. Expensive, but should last a long time and worth every penny to not deal with aphids. It is labeled Merit 2F, from Bayer Chemical, just like Admire, %of active ingredient is less than Admire, so should make mixing easier. Here's the label, hope it helps someone
14305807542660.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.