Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

damn thats expensive to killl some aphids, the way the pros kill them/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
most may not know it... but i work for a major fertilizer company in all of florida, ga. and ala.

well we are in between planting seasons right now, and work is slow,

so i took a close look into our chemical wharehouse today...i did find the worm killer with the main ingrediant [ BACILLIUS THEROGENIOUS ]....,< damn i love that stuff >...killing hornworms is the highlight of my growing season....!!!!!!!!!!!

but i found the poision for aphid's....at $120.00 a shot.... allthough it would proablly last me for the next 10 years,,,,,after mixing it with water...

im gonna get the main ingrediant and see if i can find a smaller less expensive version, of the product,,,

we as backyard growers, can control the worm... but the aphid's are a main issue...

a issue im gonna eliminate.... i just got to do my research....

soon if all goes well i may have a product to share that will eliminate the dreaded aphid.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I bought some Orthene that Don recommends from Amazon. It was Twenty something dollars and comes in a granular form that you mix with water. I got it toward the end of the season so I didn't use it this year, but put it back for next year. The soap water just wasn't working for me. It seems like a good deal and according to reports will do a good job.
The active ingredient is Acephate. What's the active ingredient in the one you are looking at?

Cigar

I was just wondering is there any plant you could grow close to your tobacco that the aphids love more..I have read here they seem to be the biggest problem most home growers face yearly..makes you wonder what the 'big' tobacco uses to combat this problem??

Cigar

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was just wondering is there any plant you could grow close to your tobacco that the aphids love more..I have read here they seem to be the biggest problem most home growers face yearly..makes you wonder what the 'big' tobacco uses to combat this problem??

Cigar

BigBonner uses something called Admire in his seedling water. Keeps Aphids away all year. He doesn't use it on the plants or after planting, just in his float tray water.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Admire ,( generic ) Nuprid , black widow , 1/2 pint per acre . It is cheap . one gallon is like $150 and is according to where you purchase it .
I prefer adding it to transplant water when planting . Under ground and away from honey bees .

DGBAMA

Admire ,( generic ) Nuprid , black widow , 1/2 pint per acre . It is cheap . one gallon is like $150 and is according to where you purchase it .
I prefer adding it to transplant water when planting . Under ground and away from honey bees .
So it is systemic, once absorbed in the plant, aphids leave it alone? No need to reapply every couple weeks as new growth forms? Sounds like a winner.

Cigar

Thanks BigBonner;
Thats interesting,the reason being is if you perfer to add to 'transplant water' that means the plants soak-up the product and keep the defenses in the plants root/stem/leaf the entire growing cycle..reminds of something I read before about growing certain plants near others that "soak-up" there flavor?? like planting a peppermint plant near a tobacco plant?? hmmm??

Cigar

BigBonner

Founding Member
So it is systemic, once absorbed in the plant, aphids leave it alone? No need to reapply every couple weeks as new growth forms? Sounds like a winner.

I forgot about Macho .
Most states you have to have a chemical license to purchase and I believe it is banned in CA .

Last all season long . It does seem to ware off a little if it is a long season but well enough to topping time . This tells me there is no residue in the plants .

DGBAMA

I forgot about Macho .
Most states you have to have a chemical license to purchase and I believe it is banned in CA .

Last all season long . It does seem to ware off a little if it is a long season but well enough to topping time . This tells me there is no residue in the plants .
I also see budworm and cutworm on the list of controlled species, a bonus. Do you treat hornworm separately?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Orthene if needed for worms and grasshoppers . It does kill aphids to .
But I don't have enough call to use it . Some horn worms is not that big of a deal but I have seen years in the past when worm and grasshoppers was a big problem .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the product i was looking at, is made by '' syngenta'' the name of the product is .> FULFILL

ill get the ingrediant today

ArizonaDave

Thanks BigBonner;
Thats interesting,the reason being is if you perfer to add to 'transplant water' that means the plants soak-up the product and keep the defenses in the plants root/stem/leaf the entire growing cycle..reminds of something I read before about growing certain plants near others that "soak-up" there flavor?? like planting a peppermint plant near a tobacco plant?? hmmm??

Cigar
These guys grow some huge crops, so they know. Mad Oshea plants garlic with the tobacco, I don't know about peppermint. Although if you have deer nearby, that might keep them away.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

I have tryed the garlic with other crops with some sucess .It definitely helps within a few feet

Putting a clove under a transplant is said to work well , never tryed it thow

Now is the time to plant garlic in the NE too

squeezyjohn

I will never buy any product made by Syngenta.

Their blatant lobbying of the EU last year to allow licensing of some of their new insecticides despite being proven to cause massive decline in native bee populations here cannot be defended unless the only thing you value in life is money! Bees are declining here at an alarming rate and the majority of the evidence points at the new neonicotinoid insecticides being used.

Lots of insecticides are not discriminatory between species - and for the future food security of the world we absolutely need to protect our bees which are the primary pollinators. Supporting companies that don't care about that at the expense of their profits is something I do not condone.

Our tobacco plants create one of the strongest natural insecticides in the world already in the form of nicotine already! Please think about the future of bees and their importance in our lives before spraying ... they are very sensitive to modern insecticides ... and a world without bees where we have to hand-pollinate 60% of the world's crops is something I don't think anyone would realistically want to imagine!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^

i gotta agree with you.... i didnt know the back story on the product,,, but i have watched some shows...and listened to late night talk radio...

where they have discussed. the decline of bees due to insecticides,

so i guess my search will go on for a product to eliminate my new enemy the dreaded APHID.....

BigBonner

Founding Member
Admire is not sprayed on tobacco .
It is used in the greenhouse at the time plants are ready to go to the field and applied to the soil in float trays . I don't use it that way , I put it in my transplant water and it hits the roots when planting the seedlings and is completely under the soil . Flowers are broken off and bees can not come in contact with the admire .

There a lot of claims on the internet as to tobacco itself killing bees . Here is just one and it is . tobacco ring spot virus (TRSV)

http://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/01/is-a-virus-from-tobacco-killing-all-of-the-honey-bees/

Gmac

^^^^^

i gotta agree with you.... i didnt know the back story on the product,,, but i have watched some shows...and listened to late night talk radio...

where they have discussed. the decline of bees due to insecticides,

so i guess my search will go on for a product to eliminate my new enemy the dreaded APHID.....
So is the decline of the male hormone in male humans. Notice all the males you know without any muscle tone. (Like Grandpa had.)

Status
Not open for further replies.