Whole Leaf Tobacco

Poor Seed Germination

I have a big problems.I started six flue cured verities seven days ago with a germination rate of 20% and used all the seed I had. Some of the seed I purchased from Sustainable Seed VA116,Big Gem,and Yellow Pryer the germination rate for these was 10% could I have had the seed raising mix to wet. I have it on a heat pad at 20C if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 09-24-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: moved to new thread

Re: Chillards FTT Need For Seed Grow Outs 2014

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
    I know this is not the right place for this request but I have a big problems.I started six flue cured verities seven days ago with a germination rate of 20% and used all the seed I had. Some of the seed I purchased from Sustainable Seed VA116,Big Gem,and Yellow Pryer the germination rate for these was 10% could I have had the seed raising mix to wet. I have it on a heat pad at 20C if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
    It is possibly the seed. I had about the same germination rate with Yellow Pryor that I bought from Sustainable Seed. I wrote them a letter, but the one I received back basically assumed I didn't know what I was doing. It was in the same tray with 17 other varieties that did fine. It was my worst germination rate of the 78 varieties that I grew this year. I didn't try the other two so I couldn't say about them.

Re: Poor Seed Germination

How many plants did you get out, after all? I found, when germination rate is very low, often the remaining plants are rather week, and need extra nursing.