ATTRA - Huge Source of Info on Sustainable Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
ATTRA: Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Communities
ATTRA_header_400.jpg

The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service - ATTRA - is developed and managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT). Their wonderful site: https://attra.ncat.org/index.php, features an excellent search engine for finding articles. The philosophical inclination of ATTRA is to promote sustainable and appropriate technologies, but without the silliness of political correctness. If you have rural interests in addition to growing tobacco, you may find a broad array of useful material for small farmstead operations.

Here's ATTRA's category menu:

• Education
  • Energy Alternatives
  • Beginning Farmer
  • Field Crops
  • Horticultural Crops
  • Livestock & Pasture
  • Local Food Systems
  • Marketing, Business & Risk Management
  • Organic Farming
  • Pest Management
  • Soils & Compost
  • Water Management

Organic Tobacco Production
This is a rather nice article on Organic Tobacco Production:
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=94

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Interesting article for a general overview of tobacco culture but I take a few exceptions:

Organic farmers do not sterilize their soil!
"As a general rule tobacco does very well following corn, cotton..." Comment- I doubt that last statement since corn is just as heavy a feeder as tobacco is.
"Leaf quality usually is reduced following leguminous forage crops and cover crops because of excessive nitrogen and organic matter" Comment- I doubt that too! Leguminous cover crops add nitrogen to the soil and organic matter. The very reason why (they say earlier in the article) that tobacco does well in virgin soil and that tobacco does well from applying manure (again.. more nitrogen)

Also... They didn't mention this website!... (I know, it was written before this sites inception"

Maybe we need a topic category titled: "ORGANIC TOBACCO GROWING/PROCESSING"

Randy B

Status
Not open for further replies.