Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How do they even get their jobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Part of buying the new farm we are required by the state/county to get a new well and septic (the septic is 100 years old, the well is 120+ years old).

It has taken me 3 weeks just to get the "necessary" paper work for the county, It has involved getting emailed a document that ended up being .5 font size too small to be "legally filed", incorrect names in the incorrect places on the forms, idiot workers at notary offices and the ever wonderful forking out $18,000 for the whole shindig.

The "special" thing about this addendum is noone really can tell us WHY this document is needed in the first place. It essentially says the land owners name, the septic installers name, the location, has to be notarized and filed, which after 6 days, the document you filed is sent back to you. (still not sure why)

I just received a call that I have to now email a copy of a deed addendum back to the county inspector because when he goes to the register of deeds, they just give him dumb looks and act like they don't know what he's asking for.

On top of all this, in my county, by law you have to have a maintenance check up for $200 per year, every year.

My question for you great FTT people....How the bloody hell do these people get their jobs? I've seen a dead grass hopper that is more reliable and productive than half of our local government works.

My 4 year old nephew makes more sense than these jack arses do.

webmost

What's wrong with a 120 year old well? After six score, it ought to be a reliable hole, one would think.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It still works fine, but the health department reported a .1% bacterial growth in it, it's not dangerous to humans or animals, but it's there. So...yeah.

Gotta love bureaucracy

Lakota

Founding Member
michibacy when I sold my last place the water test was bad ( cloriform ) All I had to do was shock the well with clorine bleach, wait a few days and then resubmit the water for testing. The water smelled like javex for a few days but after that it was a good test. I am in Canada but your tests should be the same. I am not sure if this is acceptable in the USA but it works fine here. Here is a link for shocking http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Shock_Procedure.htm

Last edited:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
whole leaf tobacco, good old kentucky clear and my back 60 acres are good for me, they can keep the change....how's that sound?:D

charles

They get their job by, knowing someone connected, being willing to do whatever stupid illogical crap they're told........ and as little of that as possible.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Charles you sound like you have experience in dealing with them folks

Gdaddy

The legal process prevents the workers from changing anything. The example of font size being too small seems like an easy fix but the worker can't change it. It would take a group of people and several meetings to agree to change the font size. Each worker has very strict limitations.

It would seem logical that, since a new well and septic is a standard requirement, a pre-assembled packet of all the forms you'll need and step by step instructions including the costs of permits would be ready for hand out. Instead, it's a tangled web of confusion.

DIY Pete

Got to love the government. In the town I live in. You have to get a building permit before you can make any improvements to your house, this would include replacing an old roof, siding, ect. I am not really opposed to this when done correctly but they don't do it correctly here.

So you get your permit (the cost is a percentage of the cost of the improvements) and then they don't do anything, no inspections, nothing. But each year they go through all the permits and raise the taxes on anyone that has made improvements to their property/house.

I stopped paying for the permits and the extra taxes that go with them.

Pete

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I do know that off hand as my wife applied for a similar job (thanks the stars she didn't get it), beginning salary was 43,000 a year, and yes there were openings.

She didn't get hired in, and that job opening is still there. Not sure how that works out, but I'm sure there is some kind of benefit to the state if there is a "constant" job opening.

rustycase

You are all welcome here in Kalifornia.
Plan check and permits to build on your own property could easily run to $50k... before you break ground.
rc

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No building permits or inspections required in Alabama except for a septic tank inspection immediately before you close the hole to make sure it was installed correctly. About $200.00 total.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...I'm sure there is some kind of benefit to the state if there is a "constant" job opening.
The most likely explanation is that the hiring process (specific job requirements) is just as messed up as the permit process. Some government agencies will keep a job that "requires" twiddleDee version 7.2 open for a year or more, rejecting applicants with 5 years experience in version 7.1, not considering that it might require only a week to develop competence in the newer version.

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
These people have a little letter next to their name when they got voted in, I know I didn't vote for that little letter, I voted for the person that wasn't endorsed by a letter ;)

Bex

If it's any consolation, it's pretty much the same everywhere. I'm in Ireland, and the situation is totally the same. Pretty much mind-numbing bureaucracy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.