Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Let's talk hybrids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I will be growing Monte Calm Brun this year and like it's cousin Monte Calm Yellow it is supposed to be some type of Swiss hybrid ( info is sorely lacking on this). Does anyone know if the term "hybrid" for this particular cultivar is the classic definition of a hybrid, i.e, If I saved seeds would they revert back to the parent strains?

How about you that have grown and saved seeds from the "Yellow" version, are the succeeding generation of plants any different?

Randy B

Last edited:

Daniel

Banned
I have seed I saved from Monte Calm Yellow last year. I will know this year if they are the same. It woudl be nice to know before hand though because my plan is to grow 500 of them. Maybe it is time to start some test plants.

I am also planning to grow Yellow Twist Bud from last years seed as well as Bursa and Virginia Bright Leaf. IF anyone knows of any reason not to grow any of those varieties from saved seed please let me know.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that both Monte Calm Yellow and Monte Calm Brun are listed as "cultivars" in the French national germ plasm bank, and have been stable for the past 40 or more years. So I would not consider them as F1 hybrids, but rather as stable varieties. MCY is a burley derivative, whereas MCB is an Havana derivative.

I have seen seed for both advertised on coffinNails: http://www.coffinails.com/order.html

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Thanks Bob, I kind of suspected they were not "real" hybrids considering how long they've been around. But then again I have never heard of anyone growing and then re growing the Brun version.It's a shame info about them (and most tobacco cultivars) is so limited.

Randy B

BarG

Founding Member
Jitterbugdude, I will send you a hand of my monte and you tell me If it is mcy or mcb. I would like to know my own damn self if there is a difference and what it is. I boought my original mc seeds from UK"coffin nails" OUT OF IGNORANCE AS TO WHAT WAS AVAILABLE HERE. yOU DONT SURF MUCH WITH DIAL-UP hA hA. Times they are a changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.