Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leaf blowers and deer leg knippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I may need a new leaf blower. I burned up 2 ryobi blowers in my shop. I am looking at stihl for my next one gas powered. I love fall but I have a nightmare of leaves coming my way. I use it in my shop to blow sawdust out. Deer leg knippers are what you use for those tough shrubs.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Might be due to the gas you are using. With 10% Ethanol in it the fuel looses a lot of its lubrication ability. I usually add extra 2 stroke oil to my mix. So far I have not burned up any of my chainsaws, weedeaters or leaf blower. My neighbor blew up a brand new Husqvarna chainsaw. He noticed afterwards that the manual said to never using Ethanol based fuels. I just bought a brand new Husqvarna chainsaw last winter to add to my collection of Stihls. There was no warning in the manual so maybe industry has come up with a fix.

BarG

Founding Member
They were electric for my shop. I am wanting the stihl gas with oil mix now for indoor outdoor. I brought one in the house once to do some dusting and almost got kicked out myself. I am liable to try it again so if you don't hear from me!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My little hunting buddy cuts grass in the summer for extra money. He has a Stihl gas blower and is very pleased with it. My house is about 30 ft. from the wood line so I know what you are talking about with the leaves.

BarG

Founding Member
Might be due to the gas you are using. With 10% Ethanol in it the fuel looses a lot of its lubrication ability. I usually add extra 2 stroke oil to my mix. So far I have not burned up any of my chainsaws, weedeaters or leaf blower. My neighbor blew up a brand new Husqvarna chainsaw. He noticed afterwards that the manual said to never using Ethanol based fuels. I just bought a brand new Husqvarna chainsaw last winter to add to my collection of Stihls. There was no warning in the manual so maybe industry has come up with a fix.

I wouldn't count on it . Its like an outboard moter, too much oil you can foul the plug, to little you can burn the engine. Are you sure they don't say use no more than 10 % ethanol. I always err on the oil side when mixing. My Granpa was a race boat driver. He started the first boat club in clear lake betwween Houston and Galveston and made the first throttle pedal.. They called him the flounder King, him and my grandmother used to fill barrels full of flounder with torchlight off the seabrook coast and ship them by rail to houston. A little trivia.Heh heh

Bill. how do you take them corners?

2 hands on the wheel.

Basicly the smell of outboard moter oil brings back my best memories.

My Dad tried a while till he got throwed pretty good.
I can't drive worth a shit, I am a Builder. Mechanics and engineers and builders and don't forget pioneers.Gamblers. whiskey makers all sorts. Whars my leaf blower.

Jitterbugdude, I am not sure I can find gas without the 10% ethanol. I don't sweat that as much as having the minimum ratio oil to gas. I always over oil a hair and my stihl is stihl keeping on. Engineered by Germans but made in the USA.

Last edited:

Ishi

Get 100+ AV gas. Expensive but works great. Will not gun up the carb if you forget to dump the tank and run it dry.

DrBob

Founding Member
Get 100+ AV gas. Expensive but works great. Will not gun up the carb if you forget to dump the tank and run it dry.

100 LL avgas is the only gas I use in my small 2 stroke engines. no ethanol and the shelf life is a lot longer. Ethanol is kryptonite to two strokes

forumdotabaco

I use a home made mix 4 litres pure gas mixed with a little addictive bottle 20 cl , I avoid to use mix with more than 3 months.
my "machines" are Partner , hey jitter now that you know both brands stihll and Husqvarna what's your opinion on them ?

DGBAMA

100 LL avgas is the only gas I use in my small 2 stroke engines. no ethanol and the shelf life is a lot longer. Ethanol is kryptonite to two strokes

Not just two strokes, pretty much any small engine that sees sporattic use. After last winter I had to clean/rebuild carbs on everything I own with an engine. 4 Wheeler, splitter, tiller, pressure washer, etc. No more ethanol in power equipment for me. Now keep a special gas can, non-ethanol only.

DrBob

Founding Member
You are absolutely right. Ethanol free gas is always available here in northern Wisconsin, most gas stations carry it. There is a huge demand for it for outboards, snowmobiles atv's and of course small engines. Ethanol is kryptonite to all small engines. I use ethanol free car gas all the time in my tiller and lawn mowers and snow blower except I put avgas in em the last time I use em for the season run em a while and put em in storage. No fuel stabilizer, just avgas, been doing it for 40 years and it works great! The stuff stores well.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
For those of us with no local AVgas or Ethanol free gas, Sta-bil fuel stabilizer in the winter time is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.