Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Steps for moving air cured leaves to kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

If someone can validate my steps here so that I don't mess up I would really appreciate it.

My shed is currently at around %70 humidity and the leaves are soft, midribs on some very dry and on others flexible. Do I need to make sure that mid rib and or leaves are fully dry before putting them in the kiln. I plan to put them in large ziploc bags to make it easier to control humidity. I would use plastic containers but I can't find any around here that are airtight.
I will monitor humidity levels (%70-%75) within the bags and restack the leaves every couple of days to start with then weekly. I figure whats the point of drying them out fully if I need to rehydrate them to %70-%75 .. of course I'll monitor and make sure humidity within the bags doesn't get to high. My concern is mold but If I follow my steps I think I should be okay.

Temperature range would be 120-130F.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think you should move them while flexible to avoid shattering the leaf. Just make sure the midribs had completely dried out at one time (snap, crackle, pop dry) or you could see mold there later.

DGBAMA

Second on stems dry. Either completely dry, then let them come back to case and bag for kilning, or remove the main rib/stem while soft, and bag the medium case leaf for kilning, with the stem removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.