New problem with my powermatic shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Hello Fellas,
I havent been on in a while.
I got a problem.
My shredder is broke.
It got frozen up because I added to much tobacco and I took it apart. I blew it out with air and water and broke the little switch that rides over a gear in the switch side of the machine.
Now it will only come on for 5 seconds and shut off.
How can I hot wire or direct drive the machine as I can not find a service website or parts to fix it.
Mike

Brown Thumb

That is a Optic sensor, if the gear stops moving it shuts off the machine so it don't self destruct. none of the models I have, have one.
Did you try twisting the wires together.
It should be wired to a optic pcb board which you might try unplugging.

Fisherman

Hello Mr Brown,
I did disconnect it from the light switch near the on off button and then tried putting all the wires together also and even held them. There is not juice going to them with it plugged in even. The electronics suck :)\

burge

I hope you get it fixed, I have the new one which does not have that sensor switch. I would suggest seeing of you can maybe fix the switch and bend it back to the position it was in

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I hope you get it fixed, I have the new one which does not have that sensor switch. I would suggest seeing of you can maybe fix the switch and bend it back to the position it was in

If not..then you may have to do what I did.
I gutted all electronics and motors..wires ..everything.
And had a handle welded to the main gear..and turned it into a manual shredder...
I also did what you did..had someone who knew electronics.. Mess with it..to no avail... But I think it was my motor that went bad.

Gmac

If not..then you may have to do what I did.
I gutted all electronics and motors..wires ..everything.
And had a handle welded to the main gear..and turned it into a manual shredder...
I also did what you did..had someone who knew electronics.. Mess with it..to no avail... But I think it was my motor that went bad.
Does it work just as good as a manuel?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Does it work just as good as a manuel?

It actually does..
I drilled a small holes on all 4 corners of the legs..
When using it..I screw it down to my coffee table..
And it shreds perfectly.

burge

It actually does..
I drilled a small holes on all 4 corners of the legs..
When using it..I screw it down to my coffee table..
And it shreds perfectly.
Sounds good Chicken so far if your ever planning to buy the new one it works pretty good. And its nice to know when something does happen you can create a new hand one

burge

The shredder is advertised to have titanium coated blades but with anythign coated it is bound to wear off especially when it is a shredder based machine. Ive only had mine for 4 weeks and its seen about 4lbs and no issues but that is a short trial period.

Personally i would pay more for a model that has stainless steel teeth to avoid the future rusting issue which is bound to happen...but it is what it is and hoping to get three years use out of it before i have to start the mechanic work on it.

popping stainless steel teeth into it would probably bump the price up $200 ..rough round uneducated numbers...basing that off how much the polish manual shredder by gabej costs...

the shred is immaculate...its ideal...and the performance is also ideal...hopefully this new model gives a return related to lengevity.

has anybody had theirs for 2+ years with no issues?

I have the newer model for 3 years now and no major issues. When I shred a pound I put it in reverse. That is what the instructions say degum the blade.

DrBob

Founding Member
I haven't shredded in over a year or two. Yesterday I decided to shred and now the shredder will not go forward as it is supposed to. Reverse it will but forward it will not. Has anyone bypassed all the sensors and hardwired a new switch without all the limiters?

burge

There is another thread where someone did that I do not have sensors on mine it is a continuous on.

Status
Not open for further replies.