Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New problem with my powermatic shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I took the switch apart and cleaned it and bent the contacts back down a little bit.No fix, dig a little deeper a d the connector had pulled off the mother board a little and I put her back on like new now.Yellow, white, purple, blue, colored plug. Under top cover left front side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 75

Freeotatv

Thats weird it pulled off..that looks like a clip in/friction clip connector...kinda strange that a friction clip connector would pull out

i was hoping it was solder based ..which is the reason i asked before...i got a weller solder kit earlier this year and always looking for new excuses to get it on the bench

DrBob

Founding Member
The more I think about it I may have never had reverse. Never had a jam, never checked the rotation at all until recently.

Brown Thumb

It pulls off from taking the side cover off to get to the gears.

DGBAMA

The more I think about it I may have never had reverse. Never had a jam, never checked the rotation at all until recently.

Good point, I don't know either. I just a couple weeks ago realized reverse on my switch was also forward, never had a jam where I would have noticed.

DrBob

Founding Member
I do not have the phone number for Powermatic anymore. I am going to give them a call. I did send the card in and should still be under warranty. never mind I found it. 909-468-5999

Freeotatv

Im pretty sure all models have the reverse function on the switch...standard on all electric shredders in case of a jam.

i have the 2014 model and took another members advice and always run a reverse mode before and after use to clear out some debris.

question on warranty....their 2014 warranty card says to send the card and the receipt for warranty work during service issue...it doesnt say to send it in after purchase.

are you folks sending in the warranty card directly after purchase or only sending it in when you hvae a repair issue?

DrBob

Founding Member
I did find the problem. a broken wire. I took photo's but for some reason I can't upload today.

DonH

Unless the warranty card states that you must send it to them, in order to receive the benefits of the limited warranty, then you don't need to (and probably should not) send in the card for any consumer device in advance.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/12/do-you-need-to-register-new-products-you-buy/index.htm

Bob
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. The people at Powermatic are super helpful. When they came out with a new model with improved gears I called them and the sent me the kit to upgrade my older model no questions asked.

DGBAMA

I did find the problem. a broken wire. I took photo's but for some reason I can't upload today.
Was it the small red wire on the switch? That is what I found wrong with my reverse. 14125203315910.jpg

A little solder and back in business. This wire is the "signal" for the motor to run CCW.

Freeotatv

Nice work...soldering is a new hobby i picked up this past year..very useful.

if you have electric toothbrushes...when the battery dies you can buy the replacement batteries and with a little soldering get it back to new condition. The same can be done for electric shavers though i dont use one.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Nice work...soldering is a new hobby i picked up this past year..very useful.

If you bought the Weller soldering gun, rather than a soldering iron, keep in mind that pulling the trigger half way is high heat, pulling it all the way is low heat. Complete opposite from what common sense would tell you, but it is in the owners manual.

Freeotatv

Thanks for the suggestion...i bought the weller soldering iron..think its the wes51 or something like that.
nice kit..variable temp. I bought it to replace batteries for 4 oralb electric toothbrushes..so it already paid for itself and then some...toothbrushes run like new after batt replacement and based on the motor...i think i can get many more years out of these units with annual battery replacements which is about how long the batteries last.

soldering is a really interesting skillset/hobby

what do you tend to use the gun for? Electronic soldering or can you do light metal fabrications with a larger soldering gun?

Brown Thumb

I use a Hakko 808 it is a older model but kicks butt for working on monitor Chassis and older arcade boards and anything else I come across at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 58

Knucklehead

Founding Member
what do you tend to use the gun for? Electronic soldering or can you do light metal fabrications with a larger soldering gun?

I use it for wiring, whether light gauge like in an auto or heavier gauge as is found in the house. I wired my drag race car several years ago with it and all connections were soldered. For light metal fab I use either a hand held propane torch or an acetylene torch and tank used for soldering household copper plumbing. I also have a 110v mig welder I use for steel.

DrBob

Founding Member
shredder 007-001.JPG this is a photo of the broken wire I found on my shredder. I have yet to repair it, hopefully this will fix my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.