Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New problem with my powermatic shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
I am having a problem with my shredder. It will not reverse. If I put the switch to reverse it goes forward. If I put the switch forward it goes forward all the time, continuously. It seems the sensor is stuck or fouled. This will be a problem if I jam it up since it will not back up. Has anyone had this problem? I have to shred a couple of pounds today and then I will gut it out and try to fix it.
Any help will be appreciated

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It seems like your switch is shorted out and not reversing polarity. It wouldn't hurt to take it out and clean it up though but I suspect that your switch is bad.

DrBob

Founding Member
Taking it apart is on my agenda today. My first suspicion is the problem is in the leaf sensor as it will not shut off like it should. It still works just fine, I hope the problem is small, maybe it is in the switch. I need to shred a couple of pounds first and then I will look at it. Whatever I find I will post the solution

Freeotatv

Are the switches and wiring solder based in these shredders?

DGBAMA

Been running mine a lot the last two weeks, and am seeing the same problem. I suspect dirty leaf sensor and a switch problem. Only a few pounds of leaf to go for me, so taking it apart when that is done.

There is also a sensor beside one of the side gears, which can get grease contaminated and need cleaning.

DGBAMA

now two of us have the same problem. I got mine in January 2014.
Had mine a little over a year. It has been worked hard the last few weeks, probably 40lbs. I will feed gently to finish my shredding then figure out the issue. Will report back here if I fix mine before you do.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Within one hour of receiving the first model, I removed the switch sensor. This feature has been completely eliminated from the newest model.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im sure a 2 way toggle switch would fix the problem...

i suck so bad at electrical issues. that anytime i have a problem ill go around it instead of trying to fix it...

id like to rig me up a nice kiln like ive seen built on here, but the electrical wiring stops me in my tracks..

so i keep it simple,,, heater and a fan. all on a timer,

Brown Thumb

Mine does the same thing with the sensors removed. I find putting it in the stop position for a couple of seconds gets it going in reverse again. I think it is the switch tho.

DGBAMA

id like to rig me up a nice kiln like ive seen built on here, but the electrical wiring stops me in my tracks..

Build It....... We will help with the electrical.

Electrical is really as simple as replacing the timer with a thermostat switch.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
To check the switch, Un plug the unit. Put the probes of a mulimeter on the in coming power terminal and one on the forward terminal. Set is on tone or ring or ohms. If it makes a sound or goes to a number over zero, That is good. Then do the same in the reverse terminal. If no sound is heard or an infenity (zero) is presant. It is a bad switch. Chicken, Do a kiln as Delux. posted to start.(can cozy) It will get You started. Simple, and one You can do. You can do that one. Mad-

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
If the switch tests bad, Clip the wires close to the bad switch. Then use some T&B crimp ons to the wires (plug ons) Use a new forward rev. switch, that is the same size. Cost will be around four or five bucks. Mad-

DrBob

Founding Member
must be the switch, I gutted it out and found nothing obvious. Blew out the leaf sensor with compressed air and that works fine now but still no reverse. warrantee time I think maybe a logic board issue. piece of shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.