Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Topping ingredient ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Neat! I'll have to try diffusing the oil flavorings into a spirit/alcohol. In the past, I have attempted to use the oil-extracts in the 1-to-4 type mixes, giving the blends a lovely orange-y or lime-y burning tire taste. Nonetheless, regardless of the casing style/flavor, it always seems that a 'light hand' is always the best... if you're going to smoke tobacco, you might as well taste it. Personally, I break out casings if I'm pressing a crumble cake (were I've broken up the leaf-pieces a liiiiiitle too much and need a little bit of 'glue') or smoking an unmixed, hot-burning leaf like a Virginia flue cured. In regards to the hot-burning leaves, it seems that when I just use plain water, the tobacco dries out a third to half way through the bowl (even when sipping the pipe), leaving the smoke with a hot, bite-y, cigarette-like taste. By lightly using the casing (the tobacco should still be able to dry out even with the casing), it seems to slow the drying of the tobacco as it burns, allowing the leaf's delicate, sweet-zestiness to come through for most of the bowl. With the flavored casings, they're just condiments to add a little 'something-something' to a leaf, like twist of lemon or dash of bitters in a spirit... not an all-the-time thing, but something to spice things up every now and then. Nonetheless, as you pointed out, if making blends that do or could incorporate a cavendish or slower burning leaves like latakia or perique, forget the casing and let the tobacco work its own magic! :D

I definitely like your Chef's approach to tobacco. There are some flavors that can enhance some tobaccos, like paring bourbon with habano, or rum/vanilla. Cognac works well with some blends. Every now and then though. I think I'm for some enhancers sometimes, but usually go for the natural flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.