Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone know the wattage of the Powermatic Shredder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I don't, but if no one chimes in I can hook my Kill-o-watt meter up this evening nd let you know.
You might have to do that, It is not listed on the tag on the newest model I have. Googled the different no.s on it and came up with nothing.
image.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A customer in the UK needs to know so the proper converter can be used.

Hopefully these new manual shredders will be sturdy enough to use with a drill motor and end this ongoing issue with power shredders.

DGBAMA

Markings on my motor:

110v/60hz
30uf/250v. Wn130

So I would presume 130 watt, but the motor does feel stronger than that.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The 30uf is the motor start capacitor. The wn130 is watts. All American typical. The gears make it as strong as it is. The cap. is to keep it from overload on each start up. 30uf is a good size of capacitor for the motor. That is a heafty motor.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The 30uf is the motor start capacitor. The wn130 is watts. All American typical. The gears make it as strong as it is. The cap. is to keep it from overload on each start up. 30uf is a good size of capacitor for the motor. That is a heafty motor.

That's some helpful info. Thanks for posting.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I would say any standard converter used for American Kitchen apliances ie. blender or mixers, would be fine as long as the pos. and neutral are polarized ( in the proper place) Large prong N and small prong+. Mad-

DrBob

Founding Member
with power converters used on electric motors bigger is better. It is not the normal run watts that you need it is the locked rotor amps that will get you. 1500 watts is what I would recommend. That size is very common as it will handle a hair dryer.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The FLA is why the Cap. 500 would do the job fine. I think I would go with the least costly unit for the inverter. A 20 amp unit will work, but not common in a home 15 amp will be fine at 500w . I would, it go down than the shreader. They have a cool down and auto reset built in.

Brown Thumb

I have never seen WN used for watts. What does the N stand for?

Bex

I have run US machinery over here (washing machine, drills, freezer, etc). I use a variable transformer, for the most part, as a voltage 'converter' but even with the proper voltage, all machinery will run 20% slower than in the US due the the slower cycle here. Actually, my pasta maker - while it will empty - won't run at all with a pasta mix in it. The inexpensive converters that you would run a hair blower off of - which will accommodate higher wattages, would run the shredder, without having to ascertain what the wattage of the shredder actually is.
I run a transformer like this:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_null_121276_-1
It comes in 500, 1500 and 2000 watt capacities. A pretty cool piece of kit.

Brown Thumb

Don, It is 200 watts as per Chris at powermatic.
wn130 is a motor model or serial no. He was not shure.
I had to call to see if they got any bearings in for my new shredder.
They have a redesigned bearing plate for it they are sending out.
They have not done anything with the leaf falling out of the sides of the cutter tho.

Brown Thumb

BT, I thought you bought a set of bearings off Ebay?
I did and put it together and it made noise from the inner bearing also. I was not going to spend another 20 bucks for another bearing. When I originally called Chris he did not have them in stock yet. So I have been waiting and using old nelly in the meantime.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just ran my Powermatic with a Kill-a-Watt meter hooked up. It averaged 145 watts but when I fed a lot of leaf and bogged it down it pulled 165 watts. So, yes 200 watts for the motor rating is correct.

BT, what do the bearings cost from Chris?, or are they covered under warranty? I bought a set direct from China for about $2.00 each. With Z bearings I usually pry off the thin metal shield, flush out the yak fat and pack with synthetic grease. On these bearings though, the metal shield is crimped on so there's no way for me to remove them without destroying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.