Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Refresh Grow-Outs for 2015 from the FTT Seed Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

Outsiders would say:"This guys don't know, how to grow tobacco".

I received two strains. Which I started on March 12.
Criollo colorado PI 121534
Stamm PI 405520

If you have any problems with the PI 121534, I grew that out last year as I requested that from Grin. It is not a bad filler and smokes well.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

DGBAMA

Out of 4 of my grow outs, I got 3-5 seedlings out of roughly 50 seeds each for 3 of the varieties; the 4th, did not give any viable seedlings. There did seem to be a lot of "shake" in the seed envelopes that I attribute to mechanized post office damamge.

DonH

Good news. I got germination out of both grow out types: Dixie Bright and Katsuyama.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
This morning did I see activities in the PI:322744 boxes to early to tell if its tobacco but I'm happy to see something really happen in one of my grow-out boxes!!

DGBAMA

This morning did I see activities in the PI:322744 boxes to early to tell if its tobacco but I'm happy to see something really happen in one of my grow-out boxes!!

That is good news. It appears many of us had problems with the post office this year.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That is good news. It appears many of us had problems with the post office this year.

Yes but I was almost asking for problem when I say"Let everyone grow the one they will and send me some how not giving much or great tobacco" (I see the bank as something good for the future, some days will some one look to find even em..).

I will probably trying to grow the same way next year (but if you ask my wife I will just grow Herbs)..

Smokin Harley

The FTT seed bank depends on periodic refresh grow-outs (at least 10% of the varieties held per year).

Growing out a handful of plants each of numerous varieties for a seed refresh is a noble endeavor, but tedious. And it lacks the reward of harvesting a nice crop of any particular variety.

I would encourage members to set aside enough grow space for, say 4 to 8 plants each of two varieties for refresh grow-outs. So, just two refresh grow-out varieties, and bag a couple of each. If most FTT members would do this (Knucklehead is given a free pass for the next 20 years), there would be no difficulty in maintaining the impressive list of seed in the FTT seed bank.

As it has turned out, even the small number of cigar varieties needing a refresh from the Nicotiana Project seed donation (the only portion of that donation that I managed) has been something of a failure. A few members have graciously followed through on their commitment to complete a grow-out of these seeds.

Aside from volunteers accepting the scarce seed, but not completing the grow-out, the choice of what to grow out seems to be influenced strongly by what the volunteer is interested in smoking. So, unfortunately, the many obscure varieties, for which there is little available knowledge or commentary, tend to be neglected.

If you feel inclined to support the seed bank, just set aside enough room for 8 or so plants that may or may not produce a final product that you may want to smoke. My current thinking is to assemble a list of members willing to do this (just PM me with your willingness and your complete mailing address), and I will then assign two varieties to each volunteer. I'll just go down the list of varieties that need a refresh. You won't know what it is until it arrives.

PLEASE add your comments (pro and con) and suggestions to this thread.

Bob
Bob, I have 10 varieties of seed from my 2015 crop . I would be happy to send you any of them for the FTT seed bank.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob is taking a vacation from this site. Looks like everyone will be on their own this year. We probably need to create a new page, something like " Seed Database" where we can list what is in our seed-bank that we would be willing to share.

chris m

I will go through what I have and what I would like to try and pass that along . I will be able to do some grow outs have a 1/4-1/2 ac to plant

DonH

Bob is taking a vacation from this site. Looks like everyone will be on their own this year. We probably need to create a new page, something like " Seed Database" where we can list what is in our seed-bank that we would be willing to share.
Where do we send the seeds from last year's growout refresh? To Don? I forgot who's keeping the seed bank.

jasonandreaspeters

what the profit please man
o.png

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Ben is it the one that Ars-Grin have under: PI 260362?I would be interest of it sounds like a interesting thing to grow.Please let me know if its something you looking after to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.