Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Refresh Grow-Outs for 2015 from the FTT Seed Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I have a suggestion. If varieties a voluteer grows out is dictated by his preference, why not have the each variety broken down into certian amount of percentage, say, 20%-25% a year and then given a choice of 3-6 varieties with a manditory 2 varieties selected by you (the ones supplying seeds for grow outs).

My preference are fluecured, burley, and oriental and if they were available for a needed grow out then I'd just growth as part of my regular grow and select a few plants of each for seeds. then, the other varieties of the obscured ones (might not be my preference) but chosen by you, I'd grow just for seed.

So, out of all the varieties that are listed in the seed bank, select 20%-25% of each variety and make them available for grow outs to us each year at a selection up to 6 with an extra 2 varieties determined by you guys.

Just a suggestion.
Will

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A lot of the varieties needing a grow out are determined by the age of the seed. A fair amount of the Nicotianna Collection is getting pretty old and needs refreshing sooner than later.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A lot of the varieties needing a grow out are determined by the age of the seed. A fair amount of the Nicotianna Collection is getting pretty old and needs refreshing sooner than later.

The Nicotiana Project seed were last grown out from 2001-2010. I grew out most of the 2001 seed this year. Amazingly the germination rate is still very high. I'm keeping them at around 20% RH with desiccant.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Please members, how hard can it be?
-Do you not understand how important a healthy and viable a seedbank can be, in Sweden we have a "large" seedbank preservation seeds collected 1921-1964; from this bank has only one one been saved Alida#6 also called Å-hus (and I do not even belive the story that it is saved from the bank). All other varieties are declared DEAD, some do not turning up in anyone to day alive seedbank.. People in her working to save this bank's please help em..

Ben Brand

Agree with Will, I volunteered for the grow out, but I only grow cigar varieties and would prefer to help with the cigar tobacco, BUT if need be I`ll grow anything to help, I will donate my non cigar tobacco to Bigdog.

jojjas

Well , i volunteered a couple of weeks ago in a pm to Bob , but i did not write anything in this thread but here it is , i`m on
Mikael

Ben Brand

Question. I donated some flu-cured seeds from South Africa (OD1) to the seed bank last year, will those be available to members?? It was a heirloom variety.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hi just joined . Put me down for the cause. Pipe preferred.

(just PM me with your willingness and your complete mailing address),

Bob

Psyd5656, you will need to send a PM to deluxestogie to be considered. In the past, there has been a minimum post provision. I don't know about this year.
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to tell us more about yourself and your planned grow in the Introduce Yourself thread.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Since the 2014 grin request thread is closed, I'll post my question here. will the requested seed that was distributed be considered grow outs for the seed bank too? I have no problem sending back seed since I'll be bagging selected plants from each variety that I received from the GRIN request.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
will the requested seed that was distributed be considered grow outs for the seed bank too?
Thanks for asking.

Jessica provided enough of each variety for me to send excess to the FTT seed bank already. So, to answer your question, grow-out seed does not need to be returned from these varieties. Just make seed for yourself and for trade.

Bob

Old#12

2014 was my first attempt at a grow. I grew about 40 broadleaf plants in pots with varied results. If the powers that be trust me with my limited experience I'll give it a try. #12

Status
Not open for further replies.