Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Refresh Grow-Outs for 2015 from the FTT Seed Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The FTT seed bank depends on periodic refresh grow-outs (at least 10% of the varieties held per year).

Growing out a handful of plants each of numerous varieties for a seed refresh is a noble endeavor, but tedious. And it lacks the reward of harvesting a nice crop of any particular variety.

I would encourage members to set aside enough grow space for, say 4 to 8 plants each of two varieties for refresh grow-outs. So, just two refresh grow-out varieties, and bag a couple of each. If most FTT members would do this (Knucklehead is given a free pass for the next 20 years), there would be no difficulty in maintaining the impressive list of seed in the FTT seed bank.

As it has turned out, even the small number of cigar varieties needing a refresh from the Nicotiana Project seed donation (the only portion of that donation that I managed) has been something of a failure. A few members have graciously followed through on their commitment to complete a grow-out of these seeds.

Aside from volunteers accepting the scarce seed, but not completing the grow-out, the choice of what to grow out seems to be influenced strongly by what the volunteer is interested in smoking. So, unfortunately, the many obscure varieties, for which there is little available knowledge or commentary, tend to be neglected.

If you feel inclined to support the seed bank, just set aside enough room for 8 or so plants that may or may not produce a final product that you may want to smoke. My current thinking is to assemble a list of members willing to do this (just PM me with your willingness and your complete mailing address), and I will then assign two varieties to each volunteer. I'll just go down the list of varieties that need a refresh. You won't know what it is until it arrives.

PLEASE add your comments (pro and con) and suggestions to this thread.

Bob

Last edited:

DGBAMA

I hope there will be lots of participation for this. 2 varieties per member is not two much to ask. Count me in.

I have cigar grow out seed for you, as soon as it is tested.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't count anybody in unless they PM me, along with a complete mailing address. I've started a spreadsheet to keep track of the flood of PMs, as they arrive.

Bob

Markw

I think it is a small thing to ask members who have used this forum. I have my GRIN grow-out's from this year to send back plus a few that are not on the FTT seed bank list.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There are a lot of people that really like the Vuelta Abajo that they have grown. I did a grow out for Don several years ago to refresh the FTT seedbank. It was one of the seeds that Don had listed as needing to be urgently refreshed. I wasn't particularly interested in that variety but grew some out to help keep the seedbank going. By luck it turned out to be a fantastic variety. So, what I'm saying is just don't do a grow out for something that you personally want. Consider doing a grow out to keep the diversity of seeds going. And if you decide to do a grow out commit yourself to do it correctly and follow through!

As far as keeping the Nicotianna Project seedbank alive, they were old seeds when I received them. If some of them are not refreshed soon we will loose them forever. Take one for the team... do a grow out!

I disagree about Knucks getting a 20 year pass on doing anymore grow outs. I think he should get a 30 year pass!

buck

If you only have space enough for 15 plants or so like I have then its pretty painful to give up that space for something I won't use or want.
However, if there are still seeds that need to be replenished and no other takers I can take a hit for the team and reserve 4 spaces for next year.
This year was my first grow but in a couple of years when I have stored enough leaf (is it ever enough ??) I can contribute more.

If you are lacking volunteers by early next year and post asking for more help I'll commit to 4 plants for the grow out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Buck,
I appreciate your generous offer. Most FTT growers have much, much more available space. If you can only do 15, they should be very specifically what you need to grow. I don't think a grower of a truly small patch should feel any pressure to do a seed refresh grow-out.

Of course, as JBD observed, you may get a lump of coal, or you may get a diamond.

Bob

DIY Pete

Bob,
Next spring will be my first time growing so I am going to plant just a few plants. If my grow goes reasonably well I will be on board next year for sure. I would hate to waste some rare seed due to my complete lack of experience with tobacco.

Pete

BarG

Founding Member
I was able to bag my 1 Katsuyama plant that survived last year. Where are we sending the seeds now?

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
If you only have space enough for 15 plants or so like I have then its pretty painful to give up that space for something I won't use or want.
However, if there are still seeds that need to be replenished and no other takers I can take a hit for the team and reserve 4 spaces for next year.
This year was my first grow but in a couple of years when I have stored enough leaf (is it ever enough ??) I can contribute more.

If you are lacking volunteers by early next year and post asking for more help I'll commit to 4 plants for the grow out.

Even just 1 plant will supply enough seed for for yourself and what ever you would donate. A 16 plant patch where 4 plants of 4 varieties are grown and 1 selected out of each variety (the best of the best...sir) will do it. The leaf from seed plants are still usable too so it's not entirely a total waste. If you need seed bags I can send you some for next year.

DGBAMA

Come on guys, anyone who visits the site once a week or more, should be able to commit to at least one variety. These grows are for seed, not leaf, if you don't have room, get 4 buckets to grow in and put them on your front porch. I know we have more than 8 regular members.

Bob, how many need to have grow outs done?

Brown Thumb

Count me in. Chit I smoke anything that Burns tobacco Related. I might get something I like.
PM on the way.
BT

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, how many need to have grow outs done?
I don't have that information yet. I don't even know how many varieties are in the seed bank. But we'll get the list together over the next month.

If you assume that we have 300 varieties in the seed bank, then 10% would need to be refreshed annually. That would be 30. Since the '300' is off the top of my bald head, we'll say that refresh grow-outs each year will be in the range of 20 to 50 varieties. At two varieties per volunteer, that comes to only 10 to 25 volunteers each year.

Bob

DGBAMA

The FTT seed bank is not just "there" people put a lot of work into maintaining it. Members benefit by being able to receive seed for "free" upon request.

Maybe a prerequisite for receiving a request from the seed bank should be the recipient agrees to complete 1 grow out of an additional variety and return seed to the bank, based on the need of the seed bank.

A small "price" to pay, IMHO.

DonH

I don't have that information yet. I don't even know how many varieties are in the seed bank. But we'll get the list together over the next month.

If you assume that we have 300 varieties in the seed bank, then 10% would need to be refreshed annually. That would be 30. Since the '300' is off the top of my bald head, we'll say that refresh grow-outs each year will be in the range of 20 to 50 varieties. At two varieties per volunteer, that comes to only 10 to 25 volunteers each year.

Bob
I can do more than two varieties if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.