Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowjack

I have not grown my own plants but have gathered some great leaf that blew off the trucks during the harvesting of the tobacco. What I have done is hung about 300 leafs and some of them were realy damaged in the early part of the harvest because I would grab any that were on the road. I air cured them all by hanging in hands in the rafters of the shop and have some fermenting in a water cooler through the use of a lever press. And I did many twists and tied with some hemp rope to in crease the pressure...some of those molded when brought into the house. So, on the compost pile they went, and I have some navy style (2)wrapped in "carrottes" still and took my first one apart after 3 months and smoked some and it's a bit harsh but has some flavor reminiscent of the B+M bought tins. I also crock potted some and then rolled them into a canvas with rope with the leaf. However, I have no clue as to the variety of tobacco leaf and can only guess it is virginia due to my location in NC. Now, that they are color cured orange and some red...and I am cutting the twists into coins...will they mold too. I sprayed some with maple water and steamed a batch while I was making the BC. It's been much fun and work to try and figure out the best practice for making pipe tobacco from leaf found on the road. So, when storing, I will use mason jars. Will it mold? Do I need to take any precautions..right now I have 3 paper bags full of dry baccy and some hanging in the rafters. I'd like to press them and have been cutting some with "codger" baccy for grins and giggles. Anyway, the finishing seems to be the toughest part for good smoke. Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. Road kill tobacco. You seem to appreciate a good challenge.

As long as the tobacco is well dried, it cannot mold. Any that will be stored in a sealed container should be dried-down to low case--cracks a bit when handled, but does not crumble to dust. You can always mist a small quantity prior to use.

With regard to your curing method of hanging the leaf in hands, I would recommend not tying the leaf into hands until after the stems have dried. Otherwise it has a strong tendency to mold.

Bob

DGBAMA

Damp and warm are mold starters. Mold needs 3 things.... Temperature, moisture, and oxygen. Pressed blocks as used for making flake are unlikely to mold (but possible). Dry or pressed are both good for storage.

As Bob said, I would not make hands for curing/drying, the stems will take forever to dry and likely to mold between them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those coins look inviting. The tiny cross-sections of stem within coins always seem to burn well.

Next time you make some, post a few photos of your twisting/wrapping, etc.

Bob

Bowjack

Yes, I did...it seemed to be a good method since I am ignorant about finishing tobacco and have read much on the process and it seems that the old school mehtods were best due to my lack of experience and know how.

ArizonaDave

Prevents doldrums.

Bob

The first definition or the 2nd? Don't see how it could prevent the first: (from wiki)

1) The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage, in which it refers to those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The low pressure is caused by the centrifugal force from the rotation movement of the Earth which is most important at the equator, which makes the air rise and travel north and south high in the atmosphere, until it subsides again in the horse latitudes. Some of that air returns to the doldrums through the trade winds. This process can lead to light or variable winds and more severe weather, in the form of squalls, thunderstorms and hurricanes. The doldrums are also noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered boats for periods of days or weeks. The term appears to have arisen in the 18th century – when cross-Equator sailing voyages became more common.
2) Colloquially, the "doldrums" are a state of inactivity, mild depression, listlessness or stagnation.[SUP][1][/SUP]
The word is derived from dold (an archaic term meaning "stupid") and -rum(s), a noun suffix found in such words as "tantrum".[SUP][2][/SUP]

Damanadaplaya

So in reading this post, from 5 years ago, will it mold? I made some navy cut, it looks wet, although has no reason to be wet. I pressed it, hard, like real hard, on a humid day, left it in vice for a day, and cut it. Smokes great, but worried about mold.

Attachments

• C2E02FC8-62B2-4C66-9C36-40429F49DE31.jpeg
    C2E02FC8-62B2-4C66-9C36-40429F49DE31.jpeg
    740.8 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.