Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stalk Cured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I am going to plant the seedlings in it if I can get it to compost into dirt per say. Hopefully high in nitrogen.
I have it covered up so the nutrients won't wash away. Gonna get me some worms in there to help things along if they can survive in Baccy.
I never thought about the slugs, Good Idea.
I guess we will find out.

ArizonaDave

I am going to plant the seedlings in it if I can get it to compost into dirt per say. Hopefully high in nitrogen.
I have it covered up so the nutrients won't wash away. Gonna get me some worms in there to help things along if they can survive in Baccy.
I never thought about the slugs, Good Idea.
I guess we will find out.

I hear Red Clover is a wonderful cover crop that replenishes nitrogen in the soil. Between that and compost, you should be good to go! http://sustainableseedco.com/compost-cover-crops/red-clover.html

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Here's an excerpt from that article:[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Trifolium pratense[/FONT]Red Clover

shovel.jpg
Sustainably Grown

Red clover has been grown for many years as a fodder crop. It is excellent for nitrogen fixation, which increases soil fertility and then is later tilled in as a green manure crop.

I was taught about the healing properties of red clover in herbal school, but at the time there wasn't any hard proof of it's anti-cancer properties. The article below is a good read into just that.

www.greenpapaya.org says this about Red Clover....

"Red clover doesn’t get much respect among many herbal experts. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says, “There is not sufficient reason to suspect it of any medicinal value.” And in The New Honest Herbal, Varro Tyler. Ph.D., dismisses claims that red clover helps treat cancer as “simply not factual.”

Cancer - On the other hand, researchers from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) have found anti-tumor properties in the herb. NCI researchers felt compelled to investigate the plant after their own Jonathan Hartwell, Ph.D., published a monograph in The Journal of Natural products in which he pointed out that 33 different cultures around the world use red clover to treat cancer. That amounts to a whole lot of people agreeing that the herb has anti-cancer action.And sure enough, NCI researchers emerged from their laboratories with confirmation that red clover contains four anti-tumor compounds, including daidzein and genistein.In addition, red clover contains significant amounts of the antioxidant chemical tocopherol, a form of vitamin E that has been shown to help prevent breast tumors in animals, according to James Duke, Ph.D., herbal medicine authority for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.These findings are still preliminary, and red clover should not be considered a treatment for cancer at this time. But for those with cancers not aggravated by estrogen (non-estrogen dependent tumors), red clover may hold some promise. Ask your physician about using it in addition to your regular treatment.Women’s Health - Several studies show that in large quantities, red clover acts like the female sex hormone estrogen, As a result, it might help relieve some menopausal symptoms, though women taking postmenopausal estrogen replacement therapy should discuss using it with their physicians.Intriguing Possibility - One study showed red clover effective against several bacteria in the test tube, including the one that causes tuberculosis, which lends some credence to the Eclectics’ use of this herb in treating TB.[h=4]Rx for Red Clover[/h]For a pleasantly sweet infusion, use 1 to 3 teaspoons of dried flower tops per cup of boiling water. Steep 10 to 15 minutes. Drink up to 3 cups a day.In a tincture, use ½ to 1½ teaspoons up to three times a day. Medicinal red clover preparations should not be given to children under age 2. For older children and people over 65, start with low-strength preparations and increase strength if necessary."***clover seed is coated for ease in planting (it is tiny) and it helps germination to have a biological innoculent. So, this seed is coated in a biological legume innoculent.

Brown Thumb

Good idea, I was thinking of a cover crop but I still have not cleaned up from this Yr.
I hope to pull the plastic and drip lines this weekend and till her under for next yr.
We got a quarter to a half inch of snow last night.
I like wreckums.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.