Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stalk Cured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I hung Harrow velvet in the lean two over 2 months ago. Still ain't dry. White on bottom leaf and stems.I put 142 in a couple weeks ago and it is almost ready to de leaf.
I put PA Red in the garage also at About the same time as the 142 and that looks ready to deleaf.

DGBAMA

Got to be something with conditions or maturity. Harrow Velvet finished fast for me, Lonnie's havanah (142) still has completely green stalks. Opposite your results.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just today I burrowed under the tobacco hanging in my shed to check all the stalk-cured varieties at the far end. My Harrow Velvet went in at least 6 weeks ago--can't remember when. It is nearly done, with just a little thickness left to the base of some of the stems. The Little Dutch, which was the first to go in, is also nearly ready.

I worried about all the big, leafy plants, like Brasil Dunkel, Long Red and PA Swarr-Hibshman, but they are coming along well--better than leaf that was primed at the same time.

As usual, my CT Broadleaf just wants to cure with green patches. We'll see about that in a few more weeks. I grew it several years ago, with similar results. That first grow was primed. This one is stalk harvested. I'm afraid it gets scratched off the list of future grows.

With my PA Red, I've taken two primings, planning to stalk-harvest the rest, but with the crowded shed and the cool, damp weather, I haven't been able to move cured leaf into my porch as fast as last season. So the best of the PA Red is still standing, waiting for somewhere to go. It's actually just barely past mature, with very few ripe leaves. It was a slow one this season. I worry that it will freeze soon after I do get it stalk harvested.

I have Cyprus Oriental mw, Cyprus Latakia mw and Prilep--all upper stalks--hanging on the stalk to "sun" cure outside. The previous sun-cured batch was just basically air-cured under the clouds. I can barely get that stuff wilted, before I have to rush it back into the shed to avoid a thunderstorm.

My tool of choice for cutting the full-size stalks is a pair of bypass branch loppers. Cuts them like butter, and avoids the worry about stalk-harvesting my fingers with a chopping blade (or the crazy Ginzu knife I wounded myself with). The small Orientals do fine with a pair of pruning scissors. The big ones each get a diagonally driven nail at the base (which impales a Tyvek label). I hang those on ropes (1/8" braided Nylon) that span the shed. The little ones are each hung using a twist of aluminum 17 gauge fence wire bent into a hook.

Bob

Brown Thumb

I think maturity might have something to do with it. Since it is in with the 142 the conditions are the same. I Never thought that would slow down curing.
I use the loppers too They work Great, Especially when they are in my kids Hands.

BarG

Founding Member
Those branch loppers[deer leg knippers] work great , Thats what I use. I primed everything this year. I had the strangest of 4 years this year regarding leaf browning. Different primes did totally different like night and day. Some browned up just perfect while the next prime would dry a totally different color and more mottled looking.

Brown Thumb

You use them to take off deer legs? Sounds quick and easy.

Brown Thumb

Another problem. What does this look like? The Brown Thumb dreaded mold?
It has been raining and I left the sides of the leanto open.
Acid rain, black mold? It is not hairy. The 142 has it the harrow velvet on the other side of the leanto is fine.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Brown Thumb

Thanks, Bob. That is what I thought.
Do you think I can take the leaf that looks unaffected and get it in low case and not have a problem with it?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I would mist the borderline leaf with white vinegar, diluted 50/50. It will inhibit mold growth, and the acetic aroma will dissipate.

In 2013, about 1/4 of my Dominican Olor was marginally mildewed. I misted it with vinegar, then handled it like the rest of the leaf. It kilned into usable filler. Black mold is only an issue (because of aflatoxin) if it is extensive, and you plan on actually chewing on it. So affected leaf is not suitable for snuff/snus, chewing tobacco and cigar wrappers. When burned, the toxin does not appear in the smoke.

Bob

Brown Thumb

Thanks Bob, I am so disgusted I just checked the rest of the leaf hanging in there and most of the leaf have spores or small dots on them. I don't want to mess with mold. Figure I will just run them thru the wood chipper. 80 plus plants.:(

DGBAMA

Thanks Bob, I am so disgusted I just checked the rest of the leaf hanging in there and most of the leaf have spores or small dots on them. I don't want to mess with mold. Figure I will just run them thru the wood chipper. 80 plus plants.:(
I had a bit of a run in with that. Mostly only the externally exposed surfaces were affected so the lower half of each leaf was not effected. A pair of scissors removed the ugly stuff .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I tried the vinegar solution a couple of days ago. I'll go to the shop and give them a good look see and let you know how they came out. Like Bama said, most of mine was on the outer exposed edges of leaf, which was still strung up. Only the occasional leaf had mold between the leaves. It was the fuzzy green mold.

BarG

Founding Member

Heh heh thats funny. this year my conditions led to mold also whereas I just said f..kit and ditched the leaf. I am running out of space to save it all to worry about problem leaves. I figure I am 3-4 years ahead on saved cigs leaves and 5 on cigar leaves. I still supplement from Don @ Wholeleaftobacco.com.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The vinegar solution killed my mold. No sign of it.
It also occurred to me recently that freezing weather may also kill the mold. Just leave it hanging through the winter.

Brown Thumb

Mine looks like black mold, I will not mess with it.
Like BarG I have plenty to smoke for a bunch of years also, Dons deals I always jump on weather I need more or not.

Brown Thumb

Had the urge to make some flake this morning.
I mixed it together with the stalks I chipped up a month or so a go.
I wonder if worms can live in it?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I tried stalk curing 2 yrs ago

I won't do that again ..bad mold issues I had.

DGBAMA

wonder if using it as mulch around the seedlings next year would prevent slugs, since they seem to not like the larger plants that are producing nicotine? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.