Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My season is about over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
We had a killer frost (7 am temp 26 deg at leaf height and 20 at ground level!) Sept 17. I got out the hose about 5 am and started spraying - I had about 20% of my crop remaining on the stalks from earlier priming.

The spraying before sun-up is a standard practice with veggie growers here to protect their tender plants from light frost damage. Had a nice ice build-up, but the leaves showed significant damage after they warmed up, so I harvested them to dry. Will see how they look after drying. I left a couple of small leaves on the top of each stalk, but they were cooked - no further growth.

An interesting observation - both the Poquonock and Canadian Virginia (seed from Lakota via Matty) leaves showed no damage, suggesting that they are a bit more frost tolerant.

The stalks continued to produce suckers and to ripen the seed pods.

We had no more frost until this am - a light touch.That's a most unusual pattern for our location.

Seed pods are probably 3 weeks later than previous years. I harvested a few this morning, but most are still ripening - pods 20 to 70% brown.

Bob - only one pod of 20 on the 3 Poq plants I bagged has turned brown (I suspect it's a dud and I didn't bring my ladder to climb up to check it) - the rest are almost all green yet. About half of the H263 were completely brown and harvested today.

I'm leaving them for a few more days, then will cut the stalks and move them inside to finish ripening. Hopefully I'll get some viable seed from the Poq.

Happy thanksgiving, all you canucks!

Jack

DGBAMA

Jack, I stalk harvested some last year, with developed pods, but completely green..... They cured fine AND produced good seed. Cut them with confidence.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
use this date as a lesson for your next grow, you may have to start them a lot earlier... to take advantage of the whole growing seaoson for your location,

i harvested all my leaves today... which had no bugs on them. like the mid season plants did...

and for me this is a late harvest.. allthough i had a late start.

and in my tropical region. still have a good month + of summer like conditions, the first frost is a long ways to come.

ArizonaDave

We had a killer frost (7 am temp 26 deg at leaf height and 20 at ground level!) Sept 17. I got out the hose about 5 am and started spraying - I had about 20% of my crop remaining on the stalks from earlier priming.

The spraying before sun-up is a standard practice with veggie growers here to protect their tender plants from light frost damage. Had a nice ice build-up, but the leaves showed significant damage after they warmed up, so I harvested them to dry. Will see how they look after drying. I left a couple of small leaves on the top of each stalk, but they were cooked - no further growth.

An interesting observation - both the Poquonock and Canadian Virginia (seed from Lakota via Matty) leaves showed no damage, suggesting that they are a bit more frost tolerant.

The stalks continued to produce suckers and to ripen the seed pods.

We had no more frost until this am - a light touch.That's a most unusual pattern for our location.

Seed pods are probably 3 weeks later than previous years. I harvested a few this morning, but most are still ripening - pods 20 to 70% brown.

Bob - only one pod of 20 on the 3 Poq plants I bagged has turned brown (I suspect it's a dud and I didn't bring my ladder to climb up to check it) - the rest are almost all green yet. About half of the H263 were completely brown and harvested today.

I'm leaving them for a few more days, then will cut the stalks and move them inside to finish ripening. Hopefully I'll get some viable seed from the Poq.

Happy thanksgiving, all you canucks!

Jack

Have you ever thought of a winter indoor grow? I know people in Alaska to that......
I read on DELUXESTOOGIE's post that he uses warming pads to cure leaf when it's too cold to cure, but from what I've heard, stalk cure is always best!

I see you're from the land of potatoes! Have been there!

Matty

I got hit by that frost too. Lost a lot of nice leaf although I did get 4 primings off one patch but only 1 priming from my second garden, which would have all been harvested by now. However, the leaf cured (?) on the plants to an interesting brown almost opaque colour. Haven't tried any yet though. That frost was unusually early and caught everyone around here.

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 01.01.20.jpg
    2014-10-13 01.01.20.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2014-10-13 01.06.26.jpg
    2014-10-13 01.06.26.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 46

ArizonaDave

I got hit by that frost too. Lost a lot of nice leaf although I did get 4 primings off one patch but only 1 priming from my second garden, which would have all been harvested by now. However, the leaf cured (?) on the plants to an interesting brown almost opaque colour. Haven't tried any yet though. That frost was unusually early and caught everyone around here.

Overall, it looks good to me! Then again, this is STILL my first Fall grow, and first grow, so I'll leave that to the experts. What type of Tobacco is that?

Matty

Overall, it looks good to me! Then again, this is STILL my first Fall grow, and first grow, so I'll leave that to the experts. What type of Tobacco is that?

The leaf in my hand is havana 142. The dead stalks are burley, gl939 and havana 142. I saved some of the "frost cured" leaf to try at a later date. Most of the leaf that was hit had also gone moldy.

Status
Not open for further replies.