Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bowjack's Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowjack

Since I reside in tobacco country. There seems to be a lot of leaf on the roadsides...so, being cheap and enjoying my pipe and tobacco. I will smoke and occasional cigar, cigarette, but have found that I really enjoy the ceremony of smoking a pipe. My heritage is Native American and it made sense to try my hand at processing my own tobacco and the history seems to begin with cigars and tobacco fermented in logs with a lever press...well, I did not find a hollow log but did find a fair amount of tobacco on the roadside and so, here is my attempt at perique tobacco. I started with a small amount in a 4x4 piece of oak rough cut from a downed tree but it cracked and the juice leaked out, so, I went to a gallon bag used for storing my green coffee beans...that leaked a bit too and then I must of gathered about 100 leafs on one section of road, and so, I transferred the first small batch to a 1 gallon igloo water container and that fell over and spilt the juice, so, I went to a larger 2.5 gallon and kinda made a lever press but it is rough too...here is where I am at right now. I think the leaf grown in this county is virginia but as I learned...perique is a process. Couple of photographs...it reeks but is fermenting.IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

Brown Thumb

Re: Perique

Cool contraption, I wish we had road kill leaf up here. How long has it been in the different buckets?

Bowjack

Re: Perique

It's been about a month for my addition of more leaf and the first batch was about mid july, when they top the plants...not been keeping very good notes about the process. However, I got 1 quart jar of twist, 1 quart of Canvas wrapped and 1 quart of loose twist, and 2 8 oz jars of twist cut. I was feeling the need to process them,so, twist seemed the easiest. The county I live in is number 2 in tobacco production and the trucks seemed to drop a lot on their way to the flue sheds. My wife used to pick them up for decor when I first moved here and then I started smoking a pipe and saw all of the leaf on the roadside..so, what the heck. It smokes a little rough but has a decent flavor to it...peppery. I appreciate good tobacco by the major companies but it can get expensive. It seems to take patience too.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks clever and workable. Be sure to keep at least a thin film of water above the tobacco in the press, to keep out air.

Bob

EDIT: When done, your Perique will take the "roughness" out of the flue-cure leaf that you put into your pipe.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Looking good, it's a process I've never tried but always wanted to. Bob does the same thing with a Masons jar(if my memory serves me right). It's definitely on my to do list.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I use the clear plastic jars from Walmart that are made of ?acrylic or ?Lexan. The look just like WLT's free humidors, only shorter. Very sturdy. Less than $10.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.