Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lonnie's Havana

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I just smoked a cigarette puro with some unaged Lonnie's Havana I grew this year. Tasted really good with no aging. Surprisingly smooth. Can't wait to see how it comes out after kilning. I think someone mentioned that this variety is Havana 142. Is that true?

DGBAMA

A couple months did wonders for mine last year. Really good tobacco flavor, but not so much a traditional "cigar flavor" which I was expecting, being a Havana. Got some nice wrapper leaf, and a good cigarette blender.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I just smoked a cigarette puro with some unaged Lonnie's Havana I grew this year. Tasted really good with no aging. Surprisingly smooth. Can't wait to see how it comes out after kilning. I think someone mentioned that this variety is Havana 142. Is that true?

Don, the original plants I got came from Lonnie and were labeled just simply as Havana. I have grown them every year since and do not think they are Havana 142, because I grew this also and have tried smoking both side by side. Characteristically they do look similiar, but I have never grown them as comparison plants. Whether it originated as Havana 142 or readjusted to my environment over several years, I do not know. I do know that it is a good smoking, growing and producing plant which just gets better with age, as I do not use a kiln. Therefore I would not refer to it as Havana 142 as to avoid confusion. If it turns out to be Havana 142, through better comparison tests, well thats great as well.

DonH

Thanks, I'll keep calling it Lonnie's Havana then. For smoking it doesn't matter but for seed production we need to be sure.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Lonnie's Havana is different than the 142 , but I believe it is similar . The problem with Lonnie's Havana is the stalks would fall or crook when the plants got half grown or bigger .
Lonnie asked me a few years back why the plants did this and I thought it was from wind or some growing failure but when I grew it some plants did like Lonnie said the crooked for no reason.

JfZ7w.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The observation that Lonnie's Havana consistently tends to crook supports my assumption that while he was growing it, he allowed it to open-pollinate. Some of the (non-Havana) varieties that I have grown (e.g. Bahia, Hacienda del Cura) tend to do the same thing. I believe it is an inherited trait (a diminished turgor or lignification in the stalk tissue).

So I would support continuing to call Lonnie's Havana "Lonnie's Havana."

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Lonnie's Havana in my picture was topped before blooming and crooked before growing very tall .
But Lonnie's Havana that I sold or gave to other people really liked that Havana . I thought it made a good a mix in cigarettes blends .

ArizonaDave

Lonnie's Havana in my picture was topped before blooming and crooked before growing very tall .
But Lonnie's Havana that I sold or gave to other people really liked that Havana . I thought it made a good a mix in cigarettes blends .

I like the fact that the leaves are close together from your picture. It looks like it has decent production. I would assume the leaves are on the thinner side?

DGBAMA

I like the fact that the leaves are close together from your picture. It looks like it has decent production. I would assume the leaves are on the thinner side?
I have been most impressed with the growth of this one, and uniformity of leaf and plants. I would not say thin leaf, but not heavy either. A good multi-purpose plant. Got some really nice wrapper, and kilned is a nice add to cigarette blends. I have only had crooked stalks when we had too much water. Planted in loose soil, I noted the root system tends to be more of a shallow "ball" than most varieties I have grown. Leaf is large and heavy when wet. Wet, heavy leaf + loose soil = tipping, even without wind.

The root structure should make it an ideal bucket grower.

ArizonaDave

I have been most impressed with the growth of this one, and uniformity of leaf and plants. I would not say thin leaf, but not heavy either. A good multi-purpose plant. Got some really nice wrapper, and kilned is a nice add to cigarette blends. I have only had crooked stalks when we had too much water. Planted in loose soil, I noted the root system tends to be more of a shallow "ball" than most varieties I have grown. Leaf is large and heavy when wet. Wet, heavy leaf + loose soil = tipping, even without wind.

The root structure should make it an ideal bucket grower.

Well then, it sounds like the perfect kind for me to try! A medium leaf would be most desirable, like this one! It would be interesting to find out what Lonnie may have crossed this plant with. Hmmm, a shallow ball root system. Maybe I could add some sort of root starter around it. On second thought, I water every day in the summer months, now only every 3 days. That could also be like you said the reason "why" it tips, leans.

Sounds and looks like a winner for me!

It looks an somewhat like a Philippine variety I was looking at on GRIN for 2015, of course crossed with havana:

<!--StartFragment-->PI 405631
Nicotianatabacum L. SOLANACEAE (tobacco)
Collected in: Philippines
Maintained by the NicotianaCollection. NPGS received: 22-Oct-1975. PIassigned: 1976. Inventory volume: 184. Form received: Seed. Accession backed upat second site.
View original Plant Inventory data (PDF format)
Accession names and identifiers
TI 1355
Idtype: OTHER. Group: TI. Comment: Tobacco Index numbers(Nicotiana sp.).
Availability
Materialis available for distribution. The normal amount distributed is 1000seeds.
Requestthis germplasm
Source History

• Accession was collected. Philippines.
  • Accession was donated. 22-Oct-1975. Maryland, United States.
    Donors:
    1. USDA,ARS.

Observations
Vouchers for accession

• Computer image.
    Flower.
clip_image001.png

• Computer image.
    Whole plant.
clip_image002.png

Then again, I don't know?
<!--EndFragment-->

Shundahai

This sounds like a nice variety for my limited space situation. I also like the "multipurpose" aspect. Are there seeds available? My first grow, of Shirey, is doing....*ok*...but it's not a heavy producer from my observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.