Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Winter is Coming - Winter Smokes - What do you roll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewZephyr

I am sure many of you, like myself, are not indoor smokers. Whether it be by choice or directive from our better halfs etc.
When winter comes, it often requires a shorter smoking time.
In other forums there have been numerous discussions on what to smoke during the winter for those of us who are stuck out in the cold. This usually ends up in a list of various cigars with a RG of less than 40. On occasion branching up to the Corona 44 size.

Being my first winter in the RYO world, I am wondering on rolling practices to achieve the smaller gauge.

How do you go about keeping a blend close to your normal flavour but at the new size?
Do you drop to a single binder, or skip it all together?
Do you still entubado roll or change method to something else, or utilize scrap filler?
Do you use molds at these smaller sizes or is it not relevant?

Any insight is appreciated.

DonH

Being under a better-half directive, I don't smoke many cigars in the winter. Maybe if I have a long drive in my car (exempt from any better-half directives) by myself. And when it gets really cold, sometimes even cigarettes take too long. I find it a good time for pipe smoking. Pipe smoking with inhalation that is. Inhaling a few big puffs off a pipe is like smoking a whole cigarette.

webmost

When the temps are in the 20s, she lights the fire, I sit beside the hearth and smoke. Updraft carries the smoke away. Any objections are met with WPTMW (Who Pays the Mortgage, Woman). No, seriously, that solves the problem right there. Of course, I try not to burn some tarry asphalt foul smelling dog rocket, outta consideration for her drapes. A mild grassy CT wrapper, or a floral aroma, and something which does not put out the volume of a smudge pot... these are in order. But do not sit in the cold old man. That is not appropriate. I don't wanna hear about it.

I would have thought that in Houston there would be few days the garage wouldn't be comfy enough given a space heater anyways. Do you even use fireplaces there?

At present I am working on a smoking porch. BIG awning windows under a generous overhang, with a built-in rolling table right under one of them, and a reading chair beside another. The project is going kinda slow, cause I don't have much time to devote. This will be my NPZ, No Pussywhippin Zone.

Not the answer you were lookin for, but struth.

LewZephyr

Thank ya both for the response, and the laugh.

I do have a couple of pipes, and enjoy that on occasion. Maybe I will lean more to the Pipe's this winter. I do have a small cellar of purchased tins.

Houston, yeah you could say it doesn't get real cold here(especially compared to up north), and no I haven't had a fire in the fireplace in over 15 years, but have done a few fire pits when out camping. No place for a fire in my smoking area, but I plan to look into a portable heater.

Would love to see some pics of the work in progress NPZ.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
ToeWarmers.JPG

Bob

DIY Pete

Living in tropical Iowa and being an outside smoker is not a good combination. During the coldest part of the winter I don't smoke (January & February). This is a self imposed abstinence, I will be putting the house up for sale soon and not smoking inside will make it easier to sell. I find that once it starts to get fairly cool, below 40F, I get a lot of tar on the head of the cigar as I smoke.

When I get the new place built I will have a dedicated smoking area. This will keep the wife and myself happy.

Pete.

ArizonaDave

Arizona is very pleasant in the winter time, the highs around 65*, sometimes 70*. Nic. Habano Viso will keep the sinus clear with it's pepperiness, and Piloto Cubano Seco and a Habano 2000 wrapper help keep it enjoyable! I love woody smokes in the fall or winter. It reminds me of pleasant camp fires in the fall. Of course Criollo 98's of any kind also give me that pleasure as well. They both seem to blend in with the fire place aroma that is in the air at that time.

DGBAMA

Arizona is very pleasant in the winter time, the highs around 65*, sometimes 70*. Nic. Habano Viso will keep the sinus clear with it's pepperiness, and Piloto Cubano Seco and a Habano 2000 wrapper help keep it enjoyable! I love woody smokes in the fall or winter. It reminds me of pleasant camp fires in the fall. Of course Criollo 98's of any kind also give me that pleasure as well. They both seem to blend in with the fire place aroma that is in the air at that time.
Sounds like a great campfire smoke for a fall hunting trip.

charlie G.

As this also being my first winter of rolling my own cigars I think I'm going to work up a nice Maduro smoke.
Being a bachelor I don't have to worry about anyone bitching at me for smoking in doors. My Lab pup doesn't mind even. He sits and draws in the smoke from my cigars at times.
I'm not sure what he gets or enjoys out of that but he does it like it's enjoyable to him. Go figure. He also sits under my chair at my rooling desk and picks up scraps and chews them a little then spits them out.

Raodwarior

I strongly suggest finding a good cigar lounge and gifting the ownership some of your nicer sticks, you will still need to buy from his stock occasionally but it beats the alternative of not smoking in the cold.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning to go through the math of driving two hours each way to the nearest cigar lounge, but in the process discovered that the local tobacconist opened a cigar bar in Blacksburg, VA (~10 miles) late last year. Interesting. I guess I would need a shower and shave to smoke a cigar there.

Of course, it doesn't get Erie cold, or Michigan cold here most of the time.

Bob

Jtravis

I was planning to go through the math of driving two hours each way to the nearest cigar lounge, but in the process discovered that the local tobacconist opened a cigar bar in Blacksburg, VA (~10 miles) late last year. Interesting. I guess I would need a shower and shave to smoke a cigar there.

Of course, it doesn't get Erie cold, or Michigan cold here most of the time.

Bob

Erie Cold is what I have to look forward to this winter. Fortunately I just found a nice shop with a smoking lounge. Looks like that will be my new back porch.

Brown Thumb

I go into my bilko stairway going out of the basement. Dark and Cold but not as cold as outside at night in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.