Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lemon Virginia reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeotatv

Anyone are to share a review of lemon..and if they use it...their blend and how lemon ipacts the blend.

Havent seen much forum threads about lemon

DGBAMA

Re: virginia lemo n reviews

If you like flue cured flavor but find it a little overbearing, lemon retains flavor while "toning it down". Also adds a bit of sweetness to the blend for me. A 1/4 leaf in the middle of a cigar is a nice touch, for my taste. Would be too light by itself, again for my taste, YMMV.

Not a stand alone, but love to have it on hand for blending.

Freeotatv

Thanks...do you use it in a cigarette blend or just cigars

DonH

Thanks...do you use it in a cigarette blend or just cigars
Because it's a flue cured, it's usually used in cigarettes. People laughed at me, but I swear it has a bit of a lemony taste. It lightens up a cigarette blend. Using WLT's flue cured types as a spectrum it would go, from lightest to heaviest, Lower leaf Virginia Bright Leaf (no longer available, it looks like), Lemon Virginia, Flue Cured Virginia Bright Leaf, Red Virginia.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Because it's a flue cured, it's usually used in cigarettes. People laughed at me, but I swear it has a bit of a lemony taste..

I agree Don, I get a slight sour/tartness from it when mixed in a pipe blend.

Bex

Many people have difficulty differentiating bitter vs. sour. The old rule of thumb was sour was on the side of your tongue, and bitter towards the back, but I understand that current 'knowledge' indicates that these particular taste buds are all over, and not just in one area. Be that as it may, I find that the stuff I have grown thus far does have a 'sour' taste on the tongue....Ah, am I growing lemon Virginia?? Doubtful!! But the point is, how do you get rid of that acid/sour sensation??? I would think that this is not something that is preferred, no??

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The distinct sour taste is typical of flue-cured leaf, because of its lower pH. Burley helps raise the pH. Perique is the definitive cure.

Bob

Bex

Perique - do you mean doing this process with the flue cured Virginia leaves, or just blending the VA with perique or burley?? I am glad to know that I am apparently flue curing my VA properly, as it tastes pretty horrid on its own.....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what you get if you try to pressure-process some flue-cured leaf. Might be good. Might not. I was referring to any leaf that is initially pressure-cured (Perique process).

Bob

burge

I don't know what you get if you try to pressure-process some flue-cured leaf. Might be good. Might not. I was referring to any leaf that is initially pressure-cured (Perique process).

Bob
Lemon is light and sweet. Pressing Virginia is done in one of Mark Ryan's new blends which apparently sweetens it even more. To bring out more sugars this leaf when moistened needs to be hand pressed into the bottom of the tobacco can and ferment dried and remoistened. It is even better.

burge

I just opened a bag of lemon that I aged for 2 years. It was amazing. Three castle taste actually wouldn't be surprised if Dons lemon was used in the making of that tobacco,

Charly

Lemon is light and sweet. Pressing Virginia is done in one of Mark Ryan's new blends which apparently sweetens it even more. To bring out more sugars this leaf when moistened needs to be hand pressed into the bottom of the tobacco can and ferment dried and remoistened. It is even better.

Bob's advice is : to remove the "sour taste" from your flue cured virginia, blend it with burley or (even better) with perique.

pressing some virginia can bring some sweetness (if just press it to a cake and let it alone a few days/month... with some air)
pressing some virginia in a perique curing style (under enough pressure to let it ferment under anaerobic atmosphere for at leat 3 month) offers something different : I tried last year to make some perique out of some air cured bright leaves (cherry red) and it reduced the acidity of the leaf, and it changed it's flavors too : it became more fruity but I found it has not a lot of taste.

burge

Bob's advice is : to remove the "sour taste" from your flue cured virginia, blend it with burley or (even better) with perique.

pressing some virginia can bring some sweetness (if just press it to a cake and let it alone a few days/month... with some air)
pressing some virginia in a perique curing style (under enough pressure to let it ferment under anaerobic atmosphere for at leat 3 month) offers something different : I tried last year to make some perique out of some air cured bright leaves (cherry red) and it reduced the acidity of the leaf, and it changed it's flavors too : it became more fruity but I found it has not a lot of taste.

It all depends All Canadian smokes are 100% Virginia. Burley is not one of our things. I like that citrus tang. Virginia blended with other Virginias can be a really tasty smoke from a Canadian perspective.

BarG

Founding Member
It all depends All Canadian smokes are 100% Virginia. Burley is not one of our things. I like that citrus tang. Virginia blended with other Virginias can be a really tasty smoke from a Canadian perspective.

You aint tried BigBonners deep red burley !

burge

I should probably try some of his Virginia leaf. like I said us Canadians are all Virginia.

burge

I blended some with the 2 year old lemon and super sweet love its a Canadian style smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.