Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Clove cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I was introduced to clove cigarettes in 2003 and fully enjoy them on occasion. I like smoking these when we go to events or before church because they really don't make me smell like strong tobacco smoke and they are kind of like a breath freshner.
djarum-supersmooth-clove-cigarette.jpg

If I remember correctly, they no longer available in the US at retailers stores. We have them here in baccy shops in Canada and also the Blacks too, I got to check out if the other varieties are available our shops too.

I was unhappy with the way my 2012 crop turned out after curing so I was going to make it all into clove cigs but eventually my tobacco got better after a bit of kilning and casing (I was a newby at the time). anyway, I have made some of my own clove cigs and have some tips for anyone wanting to try making their own.

1. Don't use already ground clove powder from the store. It's rather tastless in the blend with only an ever so slight if any taste from it. use the whole clove freshly ground through a coffee grinder. cloves done this way well give you the same flavour as the djorums.

2. Clove oil can be used with but not apart from cloves, it can fortify and enhance the flavour of the cloves but by itself it seems to carry a different flavour. don't use very much of it either since it's very potent. It's better if you can incorperate it into a casing recipe that works out to 1 drop/100g of baccy.

3. ground clove can have little chunkies in it so I suggest sifting it out and regrinding the chunks. the finer kitchen strainers work for me for sifting. I us a teaspoon of ground cloves to 200g of baccy. Believe me, this is still quite strong in flavour at that blending. if you like it stronger or lighter then add or subtract accordingly.

4. I use full flavour tubes. I think they do better justice in getting flavours through.

5. I've not done this but a mild solution of sugar and clove oil dabbed on the filter might be a good thing but I've yet to experiment on that.

Sometimes my taster gets over loaded and I end up with a bad taste in my mouth if I smoke to many over a long time so thats why I'll keep them for occasions.

chillardbee

I don't know why the ground clove powder from the store is so different from fresh ground whole clove but there is and it's night and day difference. When I grind the cloves, it's just about powdered too and thats what I add to the baccy.

ArizonaDave

I don't know why the ground clove powder from the store is so different from fresh ground whole clove but there is and it's night and day difference. When I grind the cloves, it's just about powdered too and thats what I add to the baccy.

I do believe the Sumatra goes well with clove, seems like I've read articles to the like of it's an Indonesian treat.

Grumpa

In one word, oxidation. Atmospheric oxygen is detrimental to almost all spices and foods. This is why I store all my spices under fairly high vacuum in Mason jars. You can keep them fresh for years. The little plastic jars you buy ground spices in do nothing to keep out oxygen so in a short time it is tasteless. Fresh ground is always better and whole spices kept in vacuum are better yet.

Matty

I believe clove cigarettes are more well known as kretek. I too light one up occasionally. Not an every day smoke for sure! I have as well heard they are unhealthier than plain tobacco mostly due to the numbing effect of the cloves masking any damaging effect smoking can have.

Attachments

• 1414204320588.jpg
    1414204320588.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60

ArizonaDave

I believe clove cigarettes are more well known as kretek. I too light one up occasionally. Not an every day smoke for sure! I have as well heard they are unhealthier than plain tobacco mostly due to the numbing effect of the cloves masking any damaging effect smoking can have.

Yes, they are worse for you. I'm sure there's tons of info on the net. Knucks has posted an interesting link.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

chillardbee

No, not really. If the tobacco is in good order and rolled right away it doesn't seperate.

From what I gathered in an artical I read was that the there were properties in the cloves that open/dialate the throat and this allows more particles into the lungs. Since I smoke them only occasionally, it's not a big deal but we're all smokers so whats the diff, we'll all be paying the toll at some point.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I think commercial clove cigarettes have some kind of stabilizers to prevent the clove powder seperating. Even sugars or humectants in the recipe may help.

Bex

From what I gathered in an artical I read was that the there were properties in the cloves that open/dialate the throat and this allows more particles into the lungs.

I interpreted it as saying that due to the anesthetic quality of cloves, it numbs your throat, thus allowing 'young smokers' to inhale more deeply, and that this deeper inhalation would be connected to 'health issues'.
To be honest, I take much of this 'health issue' mumbo jumbo with a grain of salt. Scotland had a lawsuit - similar to the one in the US - called the McTear case, where McTear died of lung cancer, and his wife sued Imperial tobacco, indicating that it was her husband's smoking of this tobacco that caused his cancer and death. Of course, the 'burden of proof' was on her side - to prove - upon a preponderance of the evidence - that this activity caused the illness. Expert testimony, scientific documentation, etc., was all presented, but, no definitive proof could be had from any of them. Much of the 'statistics' are cherry picked and, frankly, difficult to prove. The science is based on some presumption, and, frankly, the incidence of lung cancer deaths between smokers, past smokers and non-smokers is within a very small percentile difference. The Judge stated:

"Given that there are possible causes of lung cancer other than cigarette smoking, and given that lung cancer can occur in a non‐smoker, it is not possible to determine in any individual case whether but for an individual's cigarette smoking he probably would not have contracted lung cancer."

For anyone who has a lot of time on their hands, the judgment of the case is here:
http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=c77c86a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Or, if you prefer, a really good, indepth analysis of the case:
http://boltonsmokersclub.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/mctear-summary2.pdf

And a rather interesting quote from DR Joseph Berkson…..“Cancer is a biologic, not a statistical, problem. Statistics can soundly play an
ancillary role in its elucidation. But if biologists permit statisticians to become the arbiters of biologic questions, scientific disaster is inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.