Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plugs and Flakes and Coins oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpa

image.jpg

Have made a few plugs based on information obtained from the forum. From left to right:

1) 80/20 Bright leaf/Dark Fired - This was my first attempt. Worked out fairly well except that the leaf was probably drier than it should have been. You probably cannot see it but there are a few small delaminations in the stack. Mold used is 1.5 x 3 inches. Pressed for about 5 days then stored for a week.

2) 60/40 Bright leaf/Dark Fired - I really like the Dark Fired tobacco so this one has more. A little wetter tobacco this time and noticeably darker Virginia. Also pressed for about 5 days, dried for a short time then placed in a vacuum bag with 1 above and vac sealed. Place into a 125-130F oven for 110 hours. Left in vac bag for about 2 weeks until photo time.

3) 66/33 Red Virginia/Dark Fired. This one was done in a larger 2 x 4 mold. Done pretty much identically to 2 above but probably a little wetter yet. Note the darker coloration even though there is more VA than 2.

4) 50/25/25 Virginias/Latakia/Izmir - This was a spur of the moment thing. The Virginia component is comprised of equal parts of Bright, Lemon, and Red. Dampened, laid it all out, rolled it up then placed into a vacuum bag then directly into the 125/130F oven for 48 hours. I tried for a bit of a spiral effect and it kind of worked. Have to do a better job next time.

Have not tried any of them yet but the aromas are fantastic.

Close-ups:
IMG_0091.jpgIMG_0094.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
They look nice, especially pic #3 but the real question is "how do they taste"? I know you haven't tried them yet but it'll be interesting to hear your observations

Brown Thumb

They look like Baccy Jerky. I'd eat it. Well smoke it at least.:rolleyes:
Hope it is as good as it looks.

Grumpa

They look nice, especially pic #3 but the real question is "how do they taste"? I know you haven't tried them yet but it'll be interesting to hear your observations

Just tried number 3. I cubed about half the flake in the picture. It lit and smoked very easily with a cool burn. Since I have pretty much zero experience with whole leaf tobacco I had really no expectations to color my perceptions. Overall, the taste and body was quite good. There was a "rawness" to the taste that was quite different from commercial flakes that I have smoked. Mind you, this was not at all unpleasant in any way just different. I suspect it is due to youth of the blend or lack of casing (I used just water) and is probably a combination of both. Both of the tobaccos were distinct in the flavor with the Dark Fired being a little more noticeable toward the end. No harshness or bite at all but I do not seem to be susceptible to bite so my observation may not be valid for others.

Overall, a very pleasant experience with a really good aftertaste. It was medium in body with a strong pure tobacco taste. Just what I wanted. Looking forward to trying this over time to see how it changes.

Joe-Okie

Those look really nice. I'll bet no. 2, and 3 are really good. ODF being one of my favorites. Actually I bet they're all good, and I bet they'll age really well.

Grumpa

Tried the coins. Again, just cubed them and roughly broke it for smoking. This blend is on the lighter side of medium in body and strength. All three tobaccos were distinct in the flavor with the Latakia on the light side for my tastes. The flowery/spicy note of the Izmir was pronounced but the Virginias were a bit muted. Age may help there. As in 3, no harshness or bite. Overall, a pleasant, mostly balanced smoke.

if I were to make this type of blend again, I will up the Latakia percentage to about 35% and keep the Izmir at 25%.

smokinghole

Good looking plugs! Homemade tastes very different from store bought as you already know. Keep playing! I'm about to order more VA and some fire cured to do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.