Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Contest prizes

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
☆ blue
This is a partial list of the prizes that will be offered in the near future. These are not posted in any particular order. There are more samples available, but some are quite unique, so I'm going to divide them into 1 lb. packages before they are offered. I still need some real ideas for a contest. Some of these samples are going to be given randomly for reasons that will be made known when the prize is awarded...you won't know about this contest until it's over and the winner announced :)

1- <strike>Indian Dark Air Hand stripped Ecuador 2010</strike> CLAIMED by DeluxeStogie

1- Maryland USA 2010 claimed

5- Flue Cured 2010 machine stripped

2- Dark air India Hand stripped 2011

3- Flue Cured whole leaf 2010 3 left, 1 claimed by Tman

3- Burley 2010 India

1- light air cured India 2011

1- Dark Fired Hand stripped India

2- Idian Burley 2010

1- Argentina Flue Cured 2011 stripped

1-Dark Air India machine stripped 2010

1- Dark Air Hand stripped 2010

1- Flue Cured Philippines 2010 claimed

5- hands of Shade grown wrapper 4 left, one given to BarG for being a generous member

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
In all seriousness , this site will promote itself given time.As far as auctions i just contributed about a days labor for a project. A substantial product for auction would have to be a carefully coordinated project spread out out through numerous members and as many states. FmGrowit you are the man. You'l make it happen. From what I know About human nature you will surely attract visitors but not necesarily contributing members with a huge givaway.By the way you do have some very inteligent and hard working contributing members on this site. My input is irrelevant compared to the serious growers and serious tobacco connoseirs . but I enjoy none the less. In a about a month It will be baccy growing season again here in the south, As far as auctions go I bought a a 2x8x10 piece of spanish cedar about 6 months ago. I will build you a humidor to test and donate for next promotion. Any members Who would like a free sample of my homegrown Monte calme fell free to contact me with mailing address as I grew about a 3 or 4 year supply and have plenty to spare.;)

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
In all seriousness

Sorry BarG, but your kind around here is not usual. I'm not sure who you are or what others think of you, but your kind is exactly the people I want on the site. Believe it or not, your post about giving samples of your leaf (to complete strangers) is what prompted the newest contest.

You are the first contest winner for a "random act of kindness". You're generosity will not go unnoticed.

You have the first shot at any of the list of "contest prizes"

Thank you for being a member.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I still need some real ideas for a contest. Some of these samples are going to be given randomly for reasons that will be made known when the prize is awarded...you won't know about this contest until it's over and the winner announced :)

In all seriousness, you could have different categories and award things monthly/annually or whenever. The following ideas are aimed at mostly attracting newcomers but at the same time enticing the regulars...so, you could have a contest(s) for the following categories..

1. Most helpful person.. could be someone that always answers someone's questions or someone who is always offering to send free seeds.

2. Best chew recipe!

3. Most progress made by a Noob

4. Most meaningful "scientific" type contribution. This could be anything from how to build a better, more efficient kiln, to maybe explaining soil samples

And last but not least... a category for the guy that suggests the best ideas for a contest!.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
Well I won't have a chance .Not that I need tobacco but I like contest .No trivia , history ,Please .

You just named Jitterbugdude , Deluexstogie and Fmgrowit they win hands down .

How about Don ties a hand of a certain variety of tobacco , Take a picture , post it and we guess how many leaves are in it along with the weight .
Closest wins .

I still need some real ideas for a contest. Some of these samples are going to be given randomly for reasons that will be made known when the prize is awarded...you won't know about this contest until it's over and the winner announced :)

In all seriousness, you could have different categories and award things monthly/annually or whenever. The following ideas are aimed at mostly attracting newcomers but at the same time enticing the regulars...so, you could have a contest(s) for the following categories..

1. Most helpful person.. could be someone that always answers someone's questions or someone who is always offering to send free seeds.

2. Best chew recipe!

3. Most progress made by a Noob

4. Most meaningful "scientific" type contribution. This could be anything from how to build a better, more efficient kiln, to maybe explaining soil samples

And last but not least... a category for the guy that suggests the best ideas for a contest!.. :rolleyes:

BarG

Founding Member
☆ blueThis is a partial list of the prizes that will be offered in the near future. These are not posted in any particular order. There are more samples available, but some are quite unique, so I'm going to divide them into 1 lb. packages before they are offered. I still need some real ideas for a contest. Some of these samples are going to be given randomly for reasons that will be made known when the prize is awarded...you won't know about this contest until it's over and the winner announced :)1- <STRIKE>Indian Dark Air Hand stripped Ecuador 2010</STRIKE> CLAIMED by DeluxeStogie1- Maryland USA 2010 5- Flue Cured 2010 machine stripped 2- Dark air India Hand stripped 2011 3- Flue Cured whole leaf 2010 3 left, 1 claimed by Tman3- Burley 2010 India 1- light air cured India 20111- Dark Fired Hand stripped India2- Idian Burley 2010 1- Argentina Flue Cured 2011 stripped 1-Dark Air India machine stripped 2010 1- Dark Air Hand stripped 2010 1- Flue Cured Philippines 2010 5- hands of Shade grown wrapper 4 left, one given to BarG for being a generous member
Here is a pic. of the Generous prize I recieved from FmGrowit. A 28 leaf hand of pressed paper thin shade leaf. Every leaf in near perfect condition. 28 leaves with width from 8.5-10.5" and 16" long. The aroma tells me Its going to taste great. Perfect for the size cigars I roll with no waste! A prize well worth trying for in ongoing and upcoming contests. Thanks Don.100_1855.jpg100_1856.jpg

I've decided to edit this post and say that after being so impressed with the quality of this prize above I could realy use some filler of outstanding quality [LOL] I dont think I'll be missing my chance to try for seconds on any upcoming contests. I'm already outgunned on this logo contest so I'll say hurrah now for whoever wins.

Heres my review after rolling the first of many. I steamed the leaf to proper destemming and rolling case and rolled my prepared filler while stretching binders and wrappers to prevent wrinkles and wound up with a nice tight cigar,For a seemingly thin leaf seemed to wrap and stretch realy well without tearing.
100_1866.jpg

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
☆ blue
"I still need some real ideas for a contest. Some of these samples are going to be given randomly for reasons that will be made known when the prize is awarded...you won't know about this contest until it's over and the winner announced :)"
Since threads and posts are counted and tracked you could choose a designated number for post or thread entry for the winning number and surprise the socks off of somebody that way, You'l just have to figure out how to let the bells and buzzers be heard over the computer when the lucky # is reached. Its hard to think of an actual contest for competion.Will have to start thinking outside of the box.

Last edited:

tekwyzrd

Here's a few ideas:

Largest tobacco leaf
Tallest tobacco plant
Best Custom Blend
Most effective organic insect control method
Largest hornworm

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Alright,
Here are a few ideas which pop into my head, some are more interesting than others.
1) A contest for the best tobacco related tutorial (in the form of a post). This can be a tutorial on growing, curing, rolling cigars, mixing shisha, building a kiln out of rubber bands and duct tape, whatever floats your boat(I vote that tutorials with good pictures get bonus points!).
2) Member with most number of membership referrals in a given month. (Yeah, ok, not super creative but it seems germane)
3) Member with the most devastated and utterly abused crop- bugs, drought, lawnmower, etc... (for fun of course)
4) cigar tasting competition (IE the tobacco rendition of the pie baking contest at the county fair). In fact, why stop with cigars? Have multiple categories (Cigars, pipe tobacco, rolling tobacco, shisha- not sure if people here are into hookahs or not but might as well include them). Wouldnt it be cool to have celebrity judges?
5) Contest for the most interesting marking found on a tobacco leaf (I propose if anyone finds the Virgin Mary on one of their leaves- they should win an immediate prize! No Photoshopping!)
6) most creative cigar "rolled". Here is where people get to show their geometric talents! Can anyone do a helicoid shaped cigar?

Just a few ideas.

7) As a last one. Not sure if your prizes listed above would work but what about a "Tobacco Lottery" Lets say everyone who wants to enter sends in a pound (or half pound, quarter pound, whatever works) to FmGrowit (or perhaps they can just commit it- your call), then a lottery is drawn and the winner (or like the top few winners if there are a lot of entries) get all of the tobaccos submitted (split evenly if multiple).

tekwyzrd

3) Member with the most devastated and utterly abused crop- bugs, drought, lawnmower, etc... (for fun of course)

I would have won that last year. A hailstorm punched holes so big there wasn't much leaf left on a large portion of my crop. Over 200 plants almost totally destroyed.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I would have won that last year. A hailstorm punched holes so big there wasn't much leaf left on a large portion of my crop. Over 200 plants almost totally destroyed.

We had our once every 2 years or so hail storm out here (In central Cali, "Hail storm" means hail falls from the sky for about 10 minutes- enough to be annoying, but not long enough to damage anything...). Anyway, my bananas all have torn up leaves now. I think a few are dead...

That sucks about your crop, I hope that was not your livelihood.

tekwyzrd

We had our once every 2 years or so hail storm out here (In central Cali, "Hail storm" means hail falls from the sky for about 10 minutes- enough to be annoying, but not long enough to damage anything...). Anyway, my bananas all have torn up leaves now. I think a few are dead...

That sucks about your crop, I hope that was not your livelihood.

Fortunately I grow for my own consumption. Even so, it was disturbing to see the leaves on just over 200 nearly ready to harvest plants shredded to a useless condition. The real disappointment was the fact that I had very few seeds for some like the Bolivian Black Criollo, silver river, and a couple others I can't remember right now. Some of the larger strains had leaves almost 4 ft long. Oh well - one good thing came of my post (or should I say your reply?). I'm ordering a packet of 1000 criollo seeds from the same seller in Bolivia I got the previous smaller packet from. I'm not letting last year's problems stop me.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Fortunately I grow for my own consumption. Even so, it was disturbing to see the leaves on just over 200 nearly ready to harvest plants shredded to a useless condition. The real disappointment was the fact that I had very few seeds for some like the Bolivian Black Criollo, silver river, and a couple others I can't remember right now. Some of the larger strains had leaves almost 4 ft long. Oh well - one good thing came of my post (or should I say your reply?). I'm ordering a packet of 1000 criollo seeds from the same seller in Bolivia I got the previous smaller packet from. I'm not letting last year's problems stop me.

Awesome, hope it goes well this time. It is very disheartening to put a bunch of work into something only to see it crumble right in front of you. Especially with something like the weather where you have absolutely no way of salvaging the situation.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It is very disheartening to put a bunch of work into something only to see it crumble right in front of you. Especially with something like the weather where you have absolutely no way of salvaging the situation.
That is the underlying possibility in all of horticulture and farming. We assume that the good years are the norm, and that the bad years are the exceptions. Maybe. Maybe not.

Tekwyzrd,
Was that your photo of skeletal tobacco plants on HTGT last year? Any possibility that you might make some Bolivian Black Criollo seed available to the FTT seedbank after you harvest seed in the fall?

Bob

Lakota

Founding Member
Deluxestogie Is this the photo you are refering to? This hail hit on July 3 2011, walnut size. Larry gave me some good advice and they recovered quite well

after.JPG

tekwyzrd

I did post photos of damage from the first hailstorm somewhere but not long after we had another that damaged them beyond hope of recovery. Hail ripped up the leaves and heavy winds blew them away. Adding to the difficult situation was hospitalization of my grandmother for what we thought was another stroke (later identified as a transient ischemic attack) and my mother for a near total renal shutdown possibly due to ibuprofen in a pain med she was taking. A lot of unpleasant things happened last year. As for sharing the seeds with the seed bank after harvest - I will gladly do so.