Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Low-end Cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raodwarior

Re: Cigars

No run away fast, most of whats even in there barely resembles cigar tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Ben,
I'm afraid that your taste buds have been spoiled by smoking superb cigars. Here in the US, Phillies are among a class of smokes often referred to as "drug store cigars." All of the "drug store cigars" are machine made. Some of them are entirely tobacco, while some utilize homogenized tobacco sheet for the binder or wrapper. A few use long filler. Some are quite smokable, while many would require you to be in extremis to go near them.

JR Cigar's website has a partial sampling of them, in their "machine-made" category: https://www.jrcigars.com/machine-made-cigars

All "drug store cigars" used to be priced in the range of 10 to 50 cents per cigar, which made them worth a try (for penny pinchers and impoverished students). With the staggering cigar price hikes of the past 20 years, very few machine-made cigars are worth anywhere near what they now cost.

My list of decent, cheapo cigars (many drug stores aren't selling tobacco any longer):
Antonio y Cleopatra Grenadiers
Garcia y Vega Miniatures
Muniemaker CT Valley
  • Muniemaker Straight
  • Judges Cave
  • Bouquet Special
  • Connecticut Brevas
National Cigar products:
  • El Verso
  • Evermore
  • Farnam Drive
  • Hauptmann Perfecto
  • Ibold Black Pete Dark
  • Marsh Wheeling
Webmost's favorite Pennsylvania cigar factory (I've forgotten the name) makes a decent machine-made.

It used to be practical to just sample the different "drug store cigars" to see if they were smokable. Now, the cost makes the risk too high.

Bob

webmost

Webmost's favorite Pennsylvania cigar factory (I've forgotten the name) makes a decent machine-made.
That would be FX Smith's Sons, who also manufacture all the Muniemakers you mention as your faves.

But none of this list is to the point. If Ben cannot score Marsh Wheeling there in South Africa, then the list does him no good. That's the essence of his problem. Meanwhile, getting something shipped to him costs a fortune.

Ben, other than Phillies Blunts, what else do you see on the shelf?

By the way -- the term "blunts" has been co-opted by yoots using cigars to conceal pot. They replace the filler of a cheap cigar with mary jane and call it a blunt. That may be why Phillies are available there in SA.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I hate smoking pot in a cigar wrapper...it makes me cough something fierce....whoever come up with the idea should be slapped...for ruining good pot.

Ben Brand

We can get all the handmade cigars in SA, at a price obviously, from about $8 to lots of dollars, average about $12. Was just looking through the list and spotted the phillies ( They were the cheapest). Padron Anniversario Serie 1964 Piramides Natural = R620, $44 ea, Fuente Fuente Opus X =R680, $45, How the hell can people afford to smoke those.
Running a bit low on filler and especially wrappers, so I thought I`ll treat myself.
Thanks for the info, I`m running.
Ben

dondford

I have smoked J&R Mister B's Magnum 6 x 50 Maduro for my go to yard cigar for years. Hand made and actually not a bad smoke for a little over a buck per stick. Look around, you can find much better cigars than "drug store" dog rockets for about the same price. For a machine made really cheap smoke check out J&R Famous line. Or better yet RYO.
Good luck
D

ArizonaDave

I have smoked J&R Mister B's Magnum 6 x 50 Maduro for my go to yard cigar for years. Hand made and actually not a bad smoke for a little over a buck per stick. Look around, you can find much better cigars than "drug store" dog rockets for about the same price. For a machine made really cheap smoke check out J&R Famous line. Or better yet RYO.
Good luck
D

Mr. B's have made it around the block many times. J&R used to get them from the manufacturer, Finck Cigars, also the Havana Blend. They just had to shut their doors for the first time in 140 + years, because of Taxes and O'bummer care, so they claim.

Just a hobby of mine, but I always trace things back to the manufacturer. Have done it for many items. Used to purchase items in bulk many years ago when I had my business.

Now, I deal with pain, and get to enjoy my home rolled cigars.

ArizonaDave

JR still shows Mister B's in its current catalog, o you know who produces them for JR now?

D

Do I need to know? No, and don't care. Considering they just shut down, and they're still selling inventory, I'd guess you only have a few months tops to stock up, if that's what you want to do. Or maybe you don't. Either way, I have no stake in the game. I'm happier rolling my own, and don't care to buy from any one any more, so I'm happy with what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.