Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar mold help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raodwarior

Got a couple of old and in really good shape cigar molds in today. One of them has a light bit of surface mold, pretty sure it was not cleaned before being sold the 1st time. What do you folks use to clean the molds. I was planning a cleaning with alcohol then a retreatment and seasoning with mineral oil. Is this my best be or any other suggestions, obviously I want nothing that will impart a flavor or aroma to the bunch.

Freeotatv

Not speaking from experience..but heres an idea...

If its light surface..just clean it with luke warm soapy water and then use your air compressor to blow it dry...problem solved.

Or
Use some high grit sandpaper to remove mold or do the step above and use high hrot sandpaper to take off any surface leftovers and then season with mineral oil

Raodwarior

Bob, hadn't thought of that one...great idea thx that should have no residue as well. Well worst it could do is make next few cigars blonde...LOL J/K

webmost

I'd sure think the mineral oil would impart a flavor.

Anyone sell tobacco oil?
Or just bunch some oily green baccer in there would do it, I guess, underside of leaf toward the wood.

I would not think sandpaper would remove spores down in the wood. Peroxide sounds like a better bet.

leverhead

...Anyone sell tobacco oil?...

I read somewhere about making biodiesel from the oil in tobacco seed. Most of the Orientals aren't topped, so I guess that it would have some value to harvest the seed pods rather than let them go to waste.

I can say that tobacco seeds in a cigarette do taste terrible.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
+1 on the Hydrogen Peroxide, but I'd go ahead and use the 3% undiluted. I use 3% peroxide on everything- hands, counter tops, moldy walls etc.

webmost

I never "seasoned" my mold at all. Never even thought about it. It was a long unused antique when I got it. Just wiped out the dust and set to work. Is it even necessary, is what I'm saying.

RW your package goes out today, BTW.

Raodwarior

Being a woodworker for some time, any wood product that is going from a damp to dry environment all the time (ie. a cigar mold) needs some type of protection. Now with furniture etc we use stains and paints. For the molds the best thing I have ever seen is mineral oil, it is neutral has little if any taste (ok if your 50 or over you know the taste...LOL) but it shouldn't taint anything. Webmost I think your thinking mineral spirits which is paint thinner...yeah that would suck.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you recommend 50/50 vinegar mix for mold on leaves, and 50/50 hydrogen peroxide mix for mold on wood molds?
Vinegar works well on leaf, and the acetic acid smell dissipates. I'm not sure about spraying it on wood. It can't be too good for the wood itself. H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] leaves behind only H[sub]2[/sub]O.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Vinegar works well on leaf, and the acetic acid smell dissipates. I'm not sure about spraying it on wood. It can't be too good for the wood itself. H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB] leaves behind only H[SUB]2[/SUB]O.

Bob

That makes sense. Thanks. I need to start writing some of this stuff down.

MarcL

I used a tooth brush and cloth dampened with water to clean and, a small pick for imbedded material. The mineral oil I used (Walmart pharmacy) needed some time to set up. I had to remove/work the oil over time. I like it. That oil also makes a great laxative FYI...

MarcL

Well, I remember typing it then deleting it thinking too much? so thanks for that conformation.

Not that I know. sheen comes from oily leaf stretched tightly. I do wonder how some of those pictures get like that. I remember something about some artificial things to do it. glycerin or something.

MarcL

That's a good point. My first application was I think but, absorption was inconsistent. so reworking with a dry cloth has done well.

webmost

Dumb question on my part. The wrapper never gets in the mold. Only the binder goes in. Pop it out of the mold, wrap it, and set it aside to dry. At this point, it's a mite too fat to fit back in the mold. Would need a bigger mold a couple 64ths larger.

Binder does not get dampened the way wrapper does.

Been using this mold for a year now. If binder was going to damage the wood, do you think it would have done so already?

Status
Not open for further replies.