Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sticky Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Light Up

I have some plants with extremely sticky leaves. I mean this stuff will turn your fingers black touching it a few times. I use gloves to handle it.

I know variety has to play a large role.

Is it a good thing to have sticky leaves? Does ripeness have an effect. Does it make it a stronger smoke, fuller?

Chris A

Others with much more knowledge than I will chime in soon, but my leaves are also sticky. I grow cigar tobacco on a very small scale.

ChinaVoodoo

The Bursa from the greenhouse was significantly more sticky than anything else, including the Bursa not in the greenhouse. So sticky in fact, that even completely cured, and stored at 70-75% humidity, the leaves are still sticky.

ChinaVoodoo

The stickiest I`ve produced was Hue Huetenango, very sticky and thick leaves, but a nice cigar filler. Definitely one for the future.

Where did you get those seeds? How quickly did it mature compared to your other tobacco varieties? I like Mexican cigars.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
The more potash you give your plants the more stickier they will be..that "" stickyness" is nicotene...which is why bacca Fertilizer is 6-6-18. The last number is potash..

We had so much rain this year in fla. None of my plants were noticablly sticky...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
My plants have always been sticky, some of the least sticky have consistently been the rustica. As a result I don't think it's a direct correlation to alkaloids.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've had plenty of plants with sticky leaves ( stickiness relates to the trichomes ability to secrete oils) but I've never had cured leaf that was sticky. Stretchy yes, but not sticky.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My experience has been that stickiness can remain after color-curing, but is eliminated by kilning.

Studies have suggested that varieties with more trichomes (more pubescent), and those with trichomes that secrete more alkaloids, may be more resistant to aphids as well as hormworm larvae. I do know that my own Besuki, which is nearly hairless and non-sticky suffered quite a bit from stubborn aphids. The same was true for Timor.

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Bursa is sticky from the get go. burley is sticky too. the stickiest though I would say is the one sucker. I've noticed that the higher leaves are the stickiest no matter the variety thats grown and the longer the leaves mature, the stickier they get. I bought a 50 pack of latex gloves this year which was the best investment ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.