Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hey Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyNC

I registered sometime back but forgot my password and user name. Finally got it figured out somehow. A few of you I recognize from previous forums I have visited in the past. I am from North Carolina about 30 miles north of Charlotte in what used to be a small sleepy town called Mooresville, NC. We are the home to most Nascar Racing teams and some idiot here decided to re-name it Race City! What a joke.
Anyway I began to roll cigars when I had no idea what a cigar was. I thought all cigars were pretty much the same and you bought them in the drugstore back in the day. I am a cigarette smoker initially and smoke the hell out of them. I would smoke a cigar once in a while (machine made) but I did not know the difference between a machine made and a hand rolled. I just had no idea. A cigar was a cigar to me at that time. I think there are a lot of folks out there today that think the same thing. All cigars are a like.
Then for some strange reason I found this fellow...some of you might know him..Dan Di Francisco up in PA in Lancaster county and he had videos about how to roll cigars. He always admitted that this wasn't the professional way but just how he rolled his cigars.
I was intrigued by his videos and ordered tobacco seed from him and a few years later, I ordered Whole leaf from him. He always had good leaf and appreciate his giving the tie and making the videos to teach a novice like me who knew Nothing.
Time has past..fast forward a bit.
I decided I was going to get cigarette seed and grow my own tobacco because obama had decided to tax the hell out of tobacco even as he claimed to protect the lower income people as he made it so expensive for them to smoke.
I got my seed and grew my cigarette tobacco and had a hell of a crop just in my small backyard. Next year, I did it again. Then the next year I got interested in growing some cigar tobacco so I did. But these turned out to be 3 ft plants when my cigarette plants were over 7 feet in height so I thought I had done something wrong. I had no idea about the difference between cigar and cigarette tobacco.
One thing I did learn...was that growing tobacco and dealing with the heat and the aphids and grasshoppers was beyond what I wanted to do. I bow Down to the Tobacco Growers where-ever they may be. This is so intense and so labor intensive business that after 3 years of growing, I gave it up. Decided to buy from others instead.
Then I ran across this guy from Idaho named Erv or Pakidaho and we became friends immediately. My wife almost died due to a brain aneurysm and somehow Erv and I connected during that time. I forget really how that went. Now Erv grows different varieties and has done a hell of a job growing cigar tobacco. His strength is deciding on which tobacco to grow and he grows some damn fine tobacco especially with his short growing season. My strength is figuring out cigar blends and copying cigar blends or what have you. The Montecristo's elude me a bit. I do pride myself on figuring out the blends but I do not have enough money to afford all the tobacco needed to do every cigar. Some New Entry Cigars are just all Hype and no substnce
Wow!
I bet this is the longest introduction you have ever seen.
I just love cigars now. Yeah, I am still addicted to ciggies that I roll myself.
I am so sorry to linger for so long but it is nice to meet others with the same passion I have for a good cigar. Just nothing like it.

Thanks Dan-Thanks Erv. Thanks guys for allowing me to be so long winded. If I spell things wrong...forgive me. I am on a Mac and for some reason if I ever go back and correct anything..I send multiple posts.

Anyway..Do we Love Cigars or Not?

Thanks fellow Cigar Lovers.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
GuyNC:welcome,
yes. It was a long introduction!
I don't make or smoke cigars myself but... Think It will be funny too. See more of you here!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You live just inches from Statesville, which is home to one of the nicest, largest, most mouth-watering walk-in humidors you'll ever see--JR Cigar. Statesville is about 2 hours from me, so I have to limit my pilgrimages.

Bob

GuyNC

Deluxe...Thanks for your welcome and the mention of JR Cigars in Statesville. I love visiting there and like you said, the Largest Humidor in the World. However I have some bad news about the Statesville store. They are closing down at the end of the year. Seems their lease was not renewed. So a lot of folks there will be losing their jobs which is a total shame.
But all is not lost because they are locating here in Mooresville and you will have to drive down I-77 for another 14 miles or so to exit 36. They are only going to have the cigars and some vapes but none of any of the merchandise that was sold outside the cigar humidor. So all of those people will not have a job soon. JR's are gutting out a building here as we speak. Just thought I would give you a Heads Up.

Hey maybe you can let me know when you are planning you next trip to JRs, maybe we can meet up and swap a few lies!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know they are moving. As for trips, they are few and far between. And they are usually spur of the moment. (There's no excuse for driving two hours each way, when I grow my own tobacco. But sometimes, the urge is just too great.) The last time I drove down there, Lew Rothman still owned JR Cigars. Now it's owned by a marketing company--an unfortunate turn reflected in the degeneration of their catalog. It now is indistinguishable from the CI/Cigar.com catalogs, which I habitually toss in the trash prior to even glancing through the pages.

With my son living in Alabama, I may pass that way rare on occasion. I'd prefer that he pass that way en route to here.

Bob

dvick003

I agree. After finding this forum and rolling my own, I have not looked through the CI/Cigar.com catalogs either Bob. After learning so much from this forum, it is like reading a hardboard book for a 3 year old. They tell you little to nothing about what type or the blend. They will tell you where it comes from (sometimes)but that means doodly squat. Complete hogwash with all their "secret blends" passed down for thousands of years from their ancestors.

Gavin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I will readily acknowledge that CI/Cigar.com and JR sell some wonderful cigars. My issue is with the tidal wave of new frontmarks distinguished mostly by their clever, cute or provocative names, and their stunning graphics. In a context where the cigar is the steak and the packaging/naming/graphics are the sizzle, all the marketeers assume that the lion's share of cigar smokers are impressionable dullards who will preferentially buy the sizzle.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.