Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Saving a buttload on vaccinations and vet bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

I don't know how yall might feel about this but I recently acquired a full-blooded american yellow lab puppy for FREE. She is 14 weeks and has never been to the vet or had vaccinations. I called around to the vets and wanted to get her in for shots and a checkup. Turns out that they are super expensive around here (well, at least for me). The cheapest quote i got was almost 300 bucks. I went online and researched what shots dogs need and proceeded to buy all of the vaccinations for her up to this point. I even got her rabies shots and heartworm vaccinations which you "can't buy online without a veterinarian's license". Phooey, you can find anything if you look hard enough. It may not be labeled for a dog though. I saved myself about 200 bucks by giving her the shots myself. Just wanted to pass this along. Maybe it will be useful, maybe not...

Gavin

charlie G.

Gavin when I use to train my own hunting dogs I did the same thing as you did. We as a training group use to have 1 day when everyone would have their dogs vaccinated at a training day.
Not to offend any vet Dr's on the site but, it is just as expensive if not more then human care anymore. We all do what we can and can afford for them. God Bless them critters.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure you understand how each is administered: sub-cutaneous, intra-muscular, intra-dermal.

Bob

EDIT: While you're at it, pick up a copy of the Merck Veterinary Manual. Any edition from the last decade is fine.

dvick003

That I do. I grew up doing this sort of thing with our squirrel and coon dogs. If it seems too difficult, the bottle directions and the internet search engines can be be a big help. The stuff I bought also came with needles/syringes that had different lengths and gauges depending on the method of administration...

Gavin

EDIT: Thanks for the tip on the manual. That would be a great reference to have...

DGBAMA

I do all the regular vaccinations for our crew of dogs as well. Except Rabies which is still relatively inexpensive and gets you the official "tag" to have as proof if an unforseen situation might arise.

ArizonaDave

Just make sure you understand how each is administered: sub-cutaneous, intra-muscular, intra-dermal.

Bob

EDIT: While you're at it, pick up a copy of the Merck Veterinary Manual. Any edition from the last decade is fine.

I'd whole heartily agree with this statement, as I've personally had these type of shots back when I had my kidney transplant, and some other surgeries. My wife is an RN/BSN/FCN, and has had to administer shots to me before in the past.

Ben Brand

My dog Stinkerbell had very bad Mainge??. He scratched day and night,later on crying from scratching, then he got infection in the sores, poor thing looked like death. Took him to the vet, R300 ($22) every 2 weeks. Asked around and a farmer suggested I inject him with Dectomax - Anti parasitic injection. It really helped, finantialy and the dog, cost me R170 ($12) every 6 months, still have to jab him every 2 weeks, but the hound is clean and he`s got a very shiny coat. Vet a total rip off !!!

BarG

Founding Member
I don't know how yall might feel about this but I recently acquired a full-blooded american yellow lab puppy for FREE. She is 14 weeks and has never been to the vet or had vaccinations. I called around to the vets and wanted to get her in for shots and a checkup. Turns out that they are super expensive around here (well, at least for me). The cheapest quote i got was almost 300 bucks. I went online and researched what shots dogs need and proceeded to buy all of the vaccinations for her up to this point. I even got her rabies shots and heartworm vaccinations which you "can't buy online without a veterinarian's license". Phooey, you can find anything if you look hard enough. It may not be labeled for a dog though. I saved myself about 200 bucks by giving her the shots myself. Just wanted to pass this along. Maybe it will be useful, maybe not...

Gavin
Rabies vaccination is a live virus so you cant buy at your feed store. We live where we get them about 10 bucks per animal from mobile units. Most all other vaccinations are available to buy but I hate giving shots. I do it when needed. I do 2 Dogs up to 80 lbs. and 2 cats every year on rabies for cheap. I have a vet nearby who saved my pup from parvo, this is a lady who don't mind being arm deep in a cows ass.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Farms and ranches across the country are hurting for country vets willing to come out to farms to doctor large animals. It is one of the most in demand jobs in the country right now. If you know some kid looking for a career, a country vet can just about name his price and live anywhere in the country.

Smokin Harley

Gavin
Nice find. We own ( breed/raise) chocolate labs. The last litter of pups we had last summer is my 4th generation of same bloodline. Beautiful dogs which all went to loving spoiling homes. My son and step son each got one ( my son owned the father ,2nd gen to my 3rd gen girl) tell me , where did you find the Rabies vaccination ? And what dosage?

Smokin Harley

Farms and ranches across the country are hurting for country vets willing to come out to farms to doctor large animals. It is one of the most in demand jobs in the country right now. If you know some kid looking for a career, a country vet can just about name his price and live anywhere in the country.
My daughter ( who still has my dogs aunt) is going to vet tech school , hopefully she will help fill the void of farm vets.

BarG

Founding Member
My younger daughter works for a veterinarian, does that count ? I 'm pretty sure the really fine Visla/Lab she gave me has a chip in her for identification. One of her bosses husband has hunted with us before, we call him floor shooter.

Bex

My younger daughter works for a veterinarian, does that count ? I 'm pretty sure the really fine Visla/Lab she gave me has a chip in her for identification. One of her bosses husband has hunted with us before, we call him floor shooter.

Get her to give you the vet's old edition of his Merck. Really excellent. Aside from that, while chipping a dog is a great idea, I find that a lot of people who find lost dogs don't bother to take them to a vet (or have their own reader) to see if a dog is chipped. The system works if the pound or similar picks up your dog, though. I would have a chip and a tag on my dog - if she is lost (not likely, as she won't let me out of her sight) anyone who finds her can immediately contact me through her tag.

webmost

You ever watch The Incredible Dr. Pol?

Status
Not open for further replies.