Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

fred cured the second try

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehead

i am trying to fire cure tobacco for the second time. the only thing i figured out last year is i don't know what i am doing. if i threw that much smoke at food it would be unpalitable but the tobacco was weak. i am going to fire the smoker up to many times to be good and see what happens this year. tips and such will be appreciated. tom

Brown Thumb

It takes forever. Low heat 125 I read somewhere and lots of wood.
Mine is starting to oil up per say. But i ran out of wood chips. I have to throw some oak and maple thru the wood chipper this weekend. Mabey some pear too.

RidgeRunner

World Member
Founding Member
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me :confused:. Musta missed something somewhere.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Just talked to the guy I get my KFC from and he said he fires his barns for a month or longer non-stop..."it depends on how long it takes to finish the leaf". He said the barn temperatures are at least 130° and up to 200°. He said the higher the temperature the better the finish is on the leaf...the smoke won't stick on the leaf in colder temperatures and higher temperatures will make a shiny leaf.

bonehead

i kept the temp lower than 115 f and thought i was doing good. i guess i have a new target to shoot for. today is all rain so mabe tomorrow will be day 2.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you'll look at my discussion of making Latakia, the method for fire-cured (non-Latakia) is similar. The woods used are different, and you definitely don't want to add the condiments I discuss, when making non-Latakia.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5016-Making-Latakia-at-Home

For Latakia, I used primarily pine and cedar, which are not the taste you want for fire-cured (Kentucky-style).

I have fire-cured various leaf with:
  • hickory
  • maple
  • apple
  • oak
By firing up the smoker two or three times a day, my average completion time is in the range of 3+ weeks. The pure hickory run and the pure apple run came out the tastiest.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Just talked to the guy I get my KFC from and he said he fires his barns for a month or longer non-stop..."it depends on how long it takes to finish the leaf". He said the barn temperatures are at least 130° and up to 200°. He said the higher the temperature the better the finish is on the leaf...the smoke won't stick on the leaf in colder temperatures and higher temperatures will make a shiny leaf.

Good to hear! I just ordered some wrapper yesterday evening, really looking forward to getting this one! It's been a long time since I've had fire-cured in a Cigar, and am hoping it's just enough to add to my fall "Campfire" smokes.

DGBAMA

Good to hear! I just ordered some wrapper yesterday evening, really looking forward to getting this one! It's been a long time since I've had fire-cured in a Cigar, and am hoping it's just enough to add to my fall "Campfire" smokes.

Have not tried it in cigar yet, but it is definitely a campfire steak and potato kind of flavor/aroma. I think you will like it. Start small, it can be overbearing.

ArizonaDave

If you'll look at my discussion of making Latakia, the method for fire-cured (non-Latakia) is similar. The woods used are different, and you definitely don't want to add the condiments I discuss, when making non-Latakia.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5016-Making-Latakia-at-Home

For Latakia, I used primarily pine and cedar, which are not the taste you want for fire-cured (Kentucky-style).

I have fire-cured various leaf with:
  • hickory
  • maple
  • apple
  • oak
By firing up the smoker two or three times a day, my average completion time is in the range of 3+ weeks. The pure hickory run and the pure apple run came out the tastiest.

Bob

I bet cherry wood would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.