Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Buck's first kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmac

I started off with an oven thermostat - the dial was in 5C increments, and really fiddly. While it was doable, I found I had to constantly look at the chamber to make sure that I was close to the temp I wanted. I got an STC1000 thermostat off of ebay for next to nothing. Kind of similar to the digital Ranco that people talk about on the forum. Frankly, this is the one purchase that I made for my kiln that I would never replace. It takes all the work out of estimating where your temp should be...this is the one thing I'd recommend. The thermostat has a probe that hangs in your chamber - the display and all electronics are outside, so no garbling, etc.

Do you install the STC1000 outside the kiln, then the probe inside?

Gmac

AmaxB

Looks like your on the right track Buck
The PID you bought is a plus
Be sure things used in the kiln will not leech chemical to your leaf (being in bag should help there if the bags do give off chemical when heated)
Being in bags will definitely help with moisture, you may not need a crock pot. But watch for soggy tobacco (mold may come) go here and see video clip 4 at the bottom of the page http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4256-A-Kiln-Tobacco-the-Process-and-Why/page9
You want your tobacco like that in the video..
Have you checked a Lowe's store for tubs, our Lowe's here still has them..

buck

The fermentation box itself is made out of laminated MDF board should be okay plus I insulated the inside with Aluminum paper/bubble wrap and taped the edges. The bags are food grade ziplok bags and should not leak anything nasty and rated for the temp range. Good video I like the squeeze test you do to determine moisture levels , easy to follow. For the totes, we only have one Lowes here in BC and it's out of my way , doesn't seem like they carry the same stock as US Lowes. I'll keep looking but in the mean time will use bags and still waiting on STC to arrive.

Thanks for your videos, very helpful.

buck

STC 1000 came in the mail last week and I finally finished setting up.
Added a heating led indicator when the heat switches on.

Going to do a test run with heat source and kiln this weekend next weekend start my first kiln run.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150114_201916.jpg
    IMG_20150114_201916.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20150114_201332.jpg
    IMG_20150114_201332.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20150114_201350.jpg
    IMG_20150114_201350.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 110

buck

I got the box from Home Depot in the electrical section. It's an exterior electrical box which happened to be a good size. The outlet wouldn't fit on the inside, just barely. 1/2inch wider would have been perfect.

buck

Started my first run last night, starting slow with about a pound of lower leaves. I'm using an large ziploc bag and put in the leaf slightly moist but when I checked on them after two days I noticed that some leaves feel wet, some moist and others dryer.

Just wondering why the different cases, will moisture even out between the rest of the leaf in a few days ?

buck

Checked again today. Some leaf in one of the bags is very dry so I believe the crockpot is set too high and/or leaf too close to it. I re moistened the leaf and put in a thin Styrofoam sheet to create a small barrier between the two. I'll check on it daily.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Checked again today. Some leaf in one of the bags is very dry so I believe the crockpot is set too high and/or leaf too close to it. I re moistened the leaf and put in a thin Styrofoam sheet to create a small barrier between the two. I'll check on it daily.

Is the styrofoam sheet inside the bag with your tobacco? It could off gas and create a bad smell or flavor.

buck

Outside between bags and Crockpot. I don't put anything in my bags besides leaf. I'll take another look tonight.

buck

I think I'm going to give up on kilning. Leave dries up too fast and I need to moisten often and the more I do the more mold I find and more leaf that gets thrown out. What I'm doing now is just keep the leaf stored at home.I got a pound of heartfelt beads and will store my leaf with it to keep it at %70.

buck

I re-insulated the kiln and added a better fan, lifted the bacci off the kiln floor so heat can get underneath and I'm going to re-test my STC for correct temperature. Currently set at 120F and will set it at 125F. I think the mold was occurring due to lack of air flow and heat reaching the under side of the containers.

I'll try another run next week with this new setup.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like progress. Make sure there are no vapor leaks (which lead to heat and water loss and on to more heating and more drying).

Bob

chuditch

I re-insulated the kiln and added a better fan, lifted the bacci off the kiln floor so heat can get underneath and I'm going to re-test my STC for correct temperature. Currently set at 120F and will set it at 125F. I think the mold was occurring due to lack of air flow and heat reaching the under side of the containers.

I'll try another run next week with this new setup.
Buck I don't know if you saw the photos of my kiln but using the same gadgets to run my kiln. I am in week 4 of fermenting my leaf and it seems to be working perfectly for me the leaf feels lovely and when i have tested it with a moisture meter getting reading of 18% plus or minus 1%. I made racks from old fridge racks and packed my leaf straight onto them. I also have an old bathroom exhaust fan running 24/7 to provide air circulation.

buck

I may have mentioned this in another post but I gave up on this wooden kiln and got my hands on an upright freezer and decided to use that instead. I also tried kilning in those large ziploc storage bags without much success and have posted pictures of the results here , thread #19
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6206-Drying-after-kilning?highlight=buck+kilningh .

I have since then purchased some 4L airtight containers (largest I can find around here) which are sufficient for the amount of tobacco I process at a time; kilning so far seems to be going much better than with the ziploc bags following the same process. The leaves are turning a nice brown colour unlike the dark/almost black blotchy leaf using the ziplock bags. I've also kilned some using some vapour proof bags and they seem to work good as well. I'm nearing the 4 week mark with this year's batch of leaves and will post pictures of the results. After this I will re-kiln my previous leaf using this method and see if I can salvage them.

buck

I'm done with this year's batch of leaves and the results were much better than the last kiln run 2014 leaf.
Here is a pic of the nicer leaves, these were kilned in vapor proof bags which turned out better than using the containers, I'm going to purchase a bunch more bags.

I put the 2014 leaf back in the kiln in the airtight containers for two weeks and no matter the outcome call it quits for kilning this year.
I'll let nature continue aging them.

IMG_5865.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.