Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wisconsin snow storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
there are churches that have a special lutefisk supper around here, supposedly it is a tradition. I do not think any Swede in his right mind would eat that tripe unless he was starving. The dogs wont even eat it.

DrBob

Founding Member
Go figure. I had to eat that stuff every Christmas to keep grandma happy, Everybody told grandma how good it was and grandma made more every Christmas thinking everybody loved her lutefisk. Everybody told her so and it was a tradition. When I was about 12 or 13 I told grandma that I hated that slimy stinky fish slop and would not eat it anymore. She then said that she didn't like it either and only cooked it because everybody liked it so much. That Christmas there was no lutefisk and that was the end of that.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Some traditions should be allowed to die and never be heard of (or heard) again. Ludefisk and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody (or anything by Queen for that matter) are two I can think of right off the top of my head.

POGreen

Seems like its called stockfish in English , food preparation derived probably from The Netherlands and northern Germany , and has been known since the late Middle Ages.

I looked it up in Wikipedia.
Lutfisk or stockfish is usually eaten in the month of July in Sweden , Norway and Finland.
There seems to be a Lutfiskens Day and that falls on the Friday before All Saints Day.

Desertpipe

About -14 C (-7 or -8 F) here in the High Desert, with a half a foot of snow yesterday...think I'll look for one of those "Global Warming" nuts to pound, just to get my circulation back to normal. Still trying to get heavy equipment in here to cover all the new water system, but it is too cold for the fellow I had scheduled.

DIY Pete

About -14 C (-7 or -8 F) here in the High Desert, with a half a foot of snow yesterday...think I'll look for one of those "Global Warming" nuts to pound, just to get my circulation back to normal. Still trying to get heavy equipment in here to cover all the new water system, but it is too cold for the fellow I had scheduled.

No to be a know it all but -14C works out to about 7F.
Pete

webmost

No to be a know it all but -14C works out to about 7F.
Pete

The thing about old Fahrenheit, when he invented his thermometer, he set his scale zero to a hundred right about where people live on planet Earth. When it gets below zero or above a hundred, you just wanna say "Dayum!" F is to human scale. The thing about the French scale, it goes from freezing water to boiling water. That's a fabulous enough scale I suppose for a nation of cooks; but not all that relevant to what people want to know. Old Celsius came up with Centigrade; but he was an astronomer, so, he was not thinking about this human Earth.

Just to confuse things, Celsius is no longer centigrade. I copped this from wikipedia ... see if you can grok all this jibberjabber:

From 1744 until 1954, 0 °C was defined as the freezing point of water and 100 °C was defined as the boiling point of water, both at a pressure of one standard atmosphere with mercury being the working material. Although these defining correlations are commonly taught in schools today, by international agreement the unit "degree Celsius" and the Celsius scale are currently defined by two different temperatures: absolute zero, and the triple point of VSMOW (specially purified water). This definition also precisely relates the Celsius scale to the Kelvin scale, which defines the SI base unit of thermodynamic temperature with symbol K. Absolute zero, the lowest temperature possible at which matter theoretically would reach minimum entropy, is defined as being precisely 0 K and −273.15 °C. The temperature of the triple point of water is defined as precisely 273.16 K and 0.01 °C.[SUP][2]

Right. That's simple enough.

Gimme my temp F any old day.

[/SUP]

Grumpa

The thing about old Fahrenheit, when he invented his thermometer, he set his scale zero to a hundred right about where people live on planet Earth. When it gets below zero or above a hundred, you just wanna say "Dayum!" F is to human scale. The thing about the French scale, it goes from freezing water to boiling water. That's a fabulous enough scale I suppose for a nation of cooks; but not all that relevant to what people want to know. Old Celsius came up with Centigrade; but he was an astronomer, so, he was not thinking about this human Earth.

Just to confuse things, Celsius is no longer centigrade. I copped this from wikipedia ... see if you can grok all this jibberjabber:

From 1744 until 1954, 0 °C was defined as the freezing point of water and 100 °C was defined as the boiling point of water, both at a pressure of one standard atmosphere with mercury being the working material. Although these defining correlations are commonly taught in schools today, by international agreement the unit "degree Celsius" and the Celsius scale are currently defined by two different temperatures: absolute zero, and the triple point of VSMOW (specially purified water). This definition also precisely relates the Celsius scale to the Kelvin scale, which defines the SIbase unit of thermodynamic temperature with symbol K. Absolute zero, the lowest temperature possible at which matter theoretically would reach minimum entropy, is defined as being precisely 0 K and −273.15 °C. The temperature of the triple point of water is defined as precisely 273.16 K and 0.01 °C.[SUP][2]

Right. That's simple enough.

Gimme my temp F any old day.

[/SUP]

Not quite. Fahrenheit (a German btw) based his scale on the lowest temperature he could achieve using commonly available materials (ice and salt) as 0 F and the temperature of the human body as 100 F. Celsius (a Swede) among others used freezing to boiling point of water as the 0 to 100 range. Centigrade was the common name of this scale until 1948 when it was renamed Celsius in his honor and also to avoid confusion with angular measurements. Celsius is still the correct usage. Centigrade is still allowable but is slowly being replaced by Celsius. Kelvin is the SI unit simply because all temperatures are positive removing an error possibility besides making sense from a physics perspective. Pretty much all of science uses Kelvins.

Makes no difference what the unit is to me as I am fluent in all temperature scales. Look up Rankine too.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The house temperature feels just about right: 298ºK. For dinner, I plan to increase the entropy of my food by dicing the ham, and mixing it into the beans. Then my metabolism will go the opposite route, turning the mess of ham and beans into highly organized biologic tissues. Gotta love entropy. In the end, we all end up as a mess of beans.

Bob

Grumpa

The house temperature feels just about right: 298ºK. For dinner, I plan to increase the entropy of my food by dicing the ham, and mixing it into the beans. Then my metabolism will go the opposite route, turning the mess of ham and beans into highly organized biologic tissues. Gotta love entropy. In the end, we all end up as a mess of beans.

Bob

Okay, technical moment. It is not 298 "degrees" Kelvin as you have written above. A Kelvin is a unit of temperature so the correct way to write your house temperature is 298 K with the space between the number and the capital K.

Sorry. Used to have to do stuff like this. Don't you love nitpicking? No comment about the entropy stuff.

webmost

Okay, technical moment. It is not 298 "degrees" Kelvin as you have written above. A Kelvin is a unit of temperature so the correct way to write your house temperature is 298 K with the space between the number and the capital K.

Sorry. Used to have to do stuff like this. Don't you love nitpicking? No comment about the entropy stuff.

Okay, this is eggs ackley what I mean. I don't care how he got there salting ice and chit, regardless, old Fahrenheit got it right. Zero to a hundred is right abut where we live. F all these Ks and Cs.

27 this morning = a cold ride to yoga. Gonna put my rain pants over my jeans and my red plaid under my leather jacket.

Winter. Great weather for riding.

Bex

There is something to be said (or not to be said) about the removal of the 'human element' from various forms of measurement. While it is certainly necessary, I imagine, as science and technology becomes more complex, there is also something 'spiritual' about basing measurements on a human element of units of 12, rather than 10, miles vs kms, F vs C, etc. Growing up with miles and fahrenheit, I am constantly converting since I moved to Ireland. I understand how far I need to drive if I'm going 10 miles. Tell me I need to go 10 kilometers, and I need to convert to get the 'feel' for what this means. Strangely, the one measurement that science hasn't 'fiddled' with, is time. Regardless of scientific or 'human' needs, we still calculate on that strange 60 second/minute, 12 hour, month, etc. Thus far, this has been the one area that science and technology has not felt the need to improve or redefine. Strange.....

Status
Not open for further replies.