Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

freeze cured perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

After a week of nasty freezes, I went to clean the big patch today, expecting to see all remaining leaf looking like slimy frozen lettuce. I was greeted with a decent amount of nicely browned "frost cured" leaves. So as I pulled roots, I put the nice ones in a bucket to start an experimental batch of perique. Just the ones that still had substance, not the opaque frozen lettuce ones.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain .

If it goes well, I will send out some samples for evaluation in a few months, as I have no experience to compare to.

14161816707360.jpg
14161817647271.jpg
14161818093352.jpg
14161818537953.jpg

DGBAMA

I like the way you've re-purposed your drill press!
Out of sight, out of mind.

My guess is that it will make some excellent Perique.

Bob

In a few months, I will let you judge the outcome.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain. A few pounds that otherwise would have been in a burn pile.

Hoping for a nice "condiment" to add to my blends without resorting to artificial casings.

We will see.

leverhead

You might think about putting a catch pan between the jack and the top of the wood, oil tastes nasty. Otherwise, I like your setup.

Brown Thumb

Very creative, The stainless steel pot is a good idea. Good Luck.

leverhead

:) You knew you were saving that pan for something. For me, things don't fail until they can screw up something bigger. Now that I own a pipe, I should make a batch of perique.

DGBAMA

Little bubbles forming around the edge of my press block, so I guess things are off and running. Make sure it doesn't dry out, and wait.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've acquired the lazy habit of airing my Perique only once (at 3 weeks) during the entire 3 months. More frequent exposure to air may make it darker, but mine comes out fairly dark.

Bob

oldbear

Love it; except that I cringe at the stress on the drill press bed; not how it was designed!
If its cool you might need to go a bit longer in the cure.

Oldbear

DGBAMA

Love it; except that I cringe at the stress on the drill press bed; not how it was designed!
If its cool you might need to go a bit longer in the cure.

Oldbear

True, not quite how it was designed. Don't worry, it isn't overstressed, and it is real american iron, 50s vintage craftsman. That bed probably weighs 30lbs. Not the lightweight Chinese pot metal that most are made from now.

DGBAMA

Did my first "airing out" at 12 days. I must be doing something wrong, the smell is amazing. Fruity, notably prune, filled the garage.,. Woow, I want to dry and smoke it already. Every shade of tobacco I have ever seen in one place.14171555346800.jpg14171555943741.jpg14171556556792.jpg

Planter

Did you try and smoke a bit already? It looks very good. I wonder if one needs to go all the way necessarily.

Last year I picked some frost damaged Havana and those leaves smelled sweet and fruity without any treatment. (I just packed it away to age a year or two).
Now I´m waiting to make some freeze cured Perique, too, but my Orientals have survived already several frost nights without visible damage.

Brown Thumb

Looks Good, how easy did it come out of the stainless steel Pot?

DGBAMA

Looks Good, how easy did it come out of the stainless steel Pot?

Slam the pot upside down on the floor a dozen times loosened the "cake", then used a knife to lift a corner. Considering the pressure, I'd say it came right out.

Planter, I did not keep any out to try, maybe in a couple weeks.

DGBAMA

Second airing tonight, almost 4 weeks, more out of curiosity than necessity I am sure.

The overwhelming fruit smell is somewhat diminished, and a light aroma of fermentation (that I remember from making wine) is definitely present.

Seems some darkening has occurred in the last two weeks.

I will try to forget about it for another month now before I touch it again.
14182632721450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.