Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Just curious about a torpedo mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

Does anyone have experience with a torpedo mold? Is the bunching method different for a torpedo or do you roll it as if you you are doing a robusto and let the mold form the head when you push it up tight? Probably a dumb question but just wondering...

Gavin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use a mold. But many of my cigars are tapered at the foot, and most are tapered at the head.

For the foot taper, I just add a little extra compression of the bulk using the binder. Most of my tapered heads are that way because of the way I lay my filler (with slightly less toward the head). The real work of hand rolling a torpedo is in the shape of the wrapper, and the technique of applying it. None of my tapers create an abrupt bullet point at either end (as some molds attempt to do).

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5200-a-mould-has-its-merits#2

Bob

MarcL

It's a little different, as you can imagine in any figuado. ... but, in the head, not the body. the head area can be back filled with scrap. I like to use the shoulder and head area for determining the amount of draw in the cigar. It facilitates combustion.

IMG_0232.jpg

dvick003

Thanks guys. I was thinking about trying to roll a few that tapered like a torpedo/figurado. I just like the way they look and feel...

Gavin

Gdaddy

It's a little different, as you can imagine in any figuado. ... but, in the head, not the body. the head area can be back filled with scrap. I like to use the shoulder and head area for determining the amount of draw in the cigar. It facilitates combustion.

View attachment 13534

Some VERY nice looking cigars! I really like the attention given to the ends caps. Nice touch.

MarcL

thanks, ... I think once you get a feel for how much goes where, it doesn't matter what size you want.

IMG_0184.jpg

MarcL

how do you even smoke that thing? Looks as if the draw would require nothing short of a shop vac.

well, as one cigar. ... it had a good draw before it was capped. ... It'll probably want to be cut back behind the shoulders though. Though I have cut a little and it does draw. I'll let it set up more before it's smoked to find out. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.