Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer's tongue

Re: Deer's tongue

The WebMD article specifically addresses oral consumption of the herb, rather than its use in tobacco. The cautions are similar to those seen regarding most herbal supplements for which there is little research data. No need for conspiracy theories.

Licorice cautions are supported by much better data.

Bob

1 members have Nominated this post.

Research continues....scroll halfway down for an article from 1966. Apparently, as per the article, it is used for its active ingredient...coumarin:
    http://tobaccodocuments.org/ti/TIMN0072947-2949.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Research continues....scroll halfway down for an article from 1966. Apparently, as per the article, it is used for its active ingredient...coumarin:
    Very nice. This document contains a readable photocopy of a 1966 magazine article (?Tobacco Reporter?) that discusses the growing, harvesting and curing details of deer tongue.

• the flower stalk emerges in mid summer
    • large, mature lower leaf is harvested (primed) thereafter
    • the leaf is air-cured, with attention to preventing mold
    • the cured leaf can be powdered or shredded for use in tobacco.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lake BG: Coumarin metabilism, toxicity and carcinogenicity: relevance for human risk assessment. Food Chem Toxicol. 1999. 37:423-53.
    Coumarin is a natural product which exhibits marked species differences in both metabolism and toxicity. The majority of tests for mutagenic and genotoxic potential suggest that coumarin is not a genotoxic agent.

It appears that the...major pathway in most human subjects...is a detoxification pathway.

...it is concluded that exposure to coumarin from food and/or cosmetic products poses no health risk to humans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10418958
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Great read, thanks for the find Bex. I really like what deer tongue brings to tobacco. I keep some C&D Gentlemen Caller on hand for special occasions. I blend it with my cigarette tobacco. I get a nice crusty apple pie taste, not so much vanilla like as typically described. Super nice room note as well, hence the blend name. From what I can see, it looks like a tiny bit goes a long way in the blend. The article mentions New Hanover county, thats next to my county. Someone said they were going to show me where it grows, but I have not seen him since. If I can get/find some seeds, would be glad to pass them on.

Well, that settles it for me. But then, that's what I wanted to hear.

If coumarin is the actual substance that is wanted in this process, rather than the entirety of deers tongue, it is apparently also found in other grasses and in clover as well. As the name suggests, I believe that it is also the active ingredient in warfarin and anti-clotting agents. So yes, I would think that a little goes a long way.

Coumarin is not what you are after. Coumarin is also in Tonka beans yet it has a different flavor profile than Deer's Tongue. Coumarin and Coumadin are two different substances.

Coumarin itself is not an active anti-coagulant.

Bob

I just like how deer's tongue tastes.

Even if it were toxic, which it's apparently not, it would be a question of dose, and your own medical condition. If I were on medications that might interact with it, I would err on the side of caution. If there was a single documented case of a dire outcome from it, I would take it more seriously. If canned baked beans were in a plant identification field guide, it would be listed as mildly toxic, causing gastrointestinal distress, I'm sure. Although something may have certain chemical properties, doesn't mean the worst. Show some evidence that my life is at risk with actual cases, and I will stop putting a dash of it in my tobacco.

Stewart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast