Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deer's tongue

Re: Deer's tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    Coumarin is not what you are after. Coumarin is also in Tonka beans yet it has a different flavor profile than Deer's Tongue. Coumarin and Coumadin are two different substances.
    They're all related in some way, although modified for pharmaceutical use. It's all too confusing for me:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

I don't think coumarin is totally safe. It's banned from food by FDA and even it's legal as a tobacco flavorant most of the tobacco flavor producers are using coumarin free ingredients (e.g. coumarin free Tonka) or coumarin substitues. Well, do I smoke a blend containing Deer's Tongue ? Absolutely yes, I try it.

Once or twice a year Ill pull up some sassafrass roots an boil them down an add to the casein.
    A new start...

I imagine that sassafrass root adds some great flavor to the bacca. I just do not need any other reasons to make my bacca more flavorful than it already is .

Quote Originally Posted by indianjoe View Post
    I just do not need any other reasons to make my bacca more flavorful than it already is .
    This is what I'm striving for, as well.....

I thought I'd update on the deerstongue experience. It had been a long and hard grow, and while I started with 11 viable seedlings, they have almost all finally died, except for two shrivelled and limp plants and one gloriously priapistic specimen. See photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151217_085028.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	17424
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151217_085048.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	17425

I'm hoping I can get fresh seed off it. Perhaps they will be more viable than the ones we bought, and maybe the plants will be more ambitious growers.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I guess I should expect less than a pound in the packet I ordered.

If I can get this to make seed, it will go into the FTT seed bank next fall.

Bob
    Bob, did you ever get any Deertongue, seed?
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

The Deer's Tongue (Carphephorus odoratissimus) grew poorly in my soil, and did not produce seed or baby rosettes. It did not survive the winter.

Probably the most useful presentation of its growth environment is here: http://www.fnps.org/plants/plant/car...-odoratissimus . The site is specifically about Florida, but makes it fairly clear that the natural habitat for Deer's Tongue is moist, sandy, coastal plains and bogs, with mild winters. I'm sure a heated greenhouse could fake it.

Since the single constituent of Deer's Tongue that provides its flavor is coumarin, it is not suitable for oral tobacco, but might find some use in pipe blends. Regardless, it's a pain in the butt to grow, if you don't live in its natural habitat.

Bob

I understand, thanks
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234