Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer's tongue

Deer's tongue

Deer's tongue is a type of grass used in some pipe tobacco blends. There is a small jar of it at my local tobacconist. They might add a pinch of it to a pound of a blend. It has a coumarin type flavor to it, like sweetgrass. I tried to emulate this by putting zubrowka in some tobacco. It turned out fairly nice. Oddly, it smelled like apples; strange because zubrowka is often mixed with apple juice or cider.

I was wondering if anyone has grown deer's tongue, and whether it requires a curing process, or if it is simply dried out.

Re: Deer's tongue

And here I thought deer's tongue was a delicacy to be enjoyed at the dinner table, and tobacco to be enjoyed after dinner.........
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Here is an example from Cornell&Diehl. http://cornellanddiehl.com/search-details.cfm?id=136393
    Looks tasty.

I have bought Deer Tongue from 4noggins.com. Used sparingly, it imparts a vanilla-like aroma to tobacco. It's been a while, but I would add a little to pipe tobacco. I found that it does not go well with Latakia blends. It doesn't smell exactly like vanilla - it has a slight "herbaceous" (for a lack of a better word) scent.

At the time I purchased the Deer Tongue, I considered growing a little myself. I would imagine that it needs only drying. The flavor constituents are already present in the leaf at harvest time, so a fermentation process or other curing process would not be required. I assumed that it was only dried, but I could be wrong. That's an interesting question that deserves attention. I will look into it. If I find anything, I will post it here.
    ancora imparo...Michelangelo

ArizonaDave I was with you on that one. Not a big offal eater, and thought, how can people eat deer tongue! and I`m sure some people do.
    ChinaVoodoo enjoy the Deer`s tongue TOBACCO!!
    "Its a state of mind"

I use it in a lot of my mixes at about 5 to 10%. I buy mine from Penn Herb because it is shredded. I'm pretty sure the 4Noggins stuff is powdered, which doesn't seem like it would mix well with shredded tobacco. It makes a great addition to a VaPer and unlike SmokeStack I think it adds a nice flavor to a Latakia blend.

It's actually a kind of lettuce, so I would imagine that if you are getting it dried, it has been put through a dehydrator or similar. Some info here, and you can get seeds on the internet:
    http://myfolia.com/plants/6-lettuce-...sh-deer-tongue

I was hoping this was what you were talking about - I still have visions of large tongues (cow) in our local deli, looking out at you from behind the glass cabinet from when I was a kid, and my mother forcing me to eat this. A recurring nightmare....

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    It's actually a kind of lettuce, so I would imagine that if you are getting it dried, it has been put through a dehydrator or similar. Some info here, and you can get seeds on the internet:
    http://myfolia.com/plants/6-lettuce-...sh-deer-tongue

I was hoping this was what you were talking about - I still have visions of large tongues (cow) in our local deli, looking out at you from behind the glass cabinet from when I was a kid, and my mother forcing me to eat this. A recurring nightmare....
    That is not the correct deertongue for tobacco. Look here: http://ncpedia.org/deertongue It is more of a grass.

I saw that one coming. Panicum clandestinum. Good call Grumpa.
    Last edited by ChinaVoodoo; 11-21-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Oh my. I just realized that there are now at least three plants called Deer's tongue. The lettuce, the grass, and the herb, Trilisa odoratissima. I always thought it was the grass, Panicum. Cool, thanks Grumpa, you just saved me the price of grass seed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast