Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Eskisehir Meerschaum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

A year and a half ago, I had the opportunity to take a long vacation in Turkey. We began in Antalya, rented a car, and in two weeks were in Istanbul, where we spent another week.

The highlight was Eskisehir, the city in the stone and ceramics center of the country which is in close proximity to the villages that mine meerschaum. Eskisehir is a city about half way between Istanbul and Ankara. Before we got there, many Turks questioned why we would plan on going to Eskisehir; to them, it's just an uninteresting city.

It is illegal to export uncarved meerschaum, so although there are carvers in Ankara and Istanbul, the multi-generational carvers are mostly in Eskisehir. If you ever visit, be sure to tell them that you are a pipe smoker, because there are different grades of meerschaum, and a number of the pipes that are sold in Turkey are meant for tourists who don't plan on smoking them. Knowing you are a pipe smoker, they will direct you to the best of them. Also, I would like to suggest that although bartering is the norm in Turkey, try not to get too great of a deal, because in my opinion, 30 to 80 euros for a beautiful well smoking pipe, bought from the artisan who you met, who made it is worth close to full price. (Isn't that what fair trade is about?)

If you go, pack your own tobacco! There is only one commercially available Turkish pipe tobacco, and it is difficult to find. I did not find any until I was at a shop on the Asian side of Istanbul. Contrary to what you would expect, pipe smoking in Turkey is rare, and the only pipe smokers in Turkey that I met were in Eskisehir, and guess what? They smoke imported European pipe tobacco, which they sell under the counter, (because they aren't supposed to have it), at prices just as high as in Canada.

Eskisehir was a great experience. By Turkish standards, it is a young city. It is modern, and the home of a lot of young people attending university. The food was great, and although the language barrier was greater there than in any other part of Turkey which we visited, the people were very friendly. There is a thriving arts district--cobblestone streets, men playing dominoes, and drinking tea, parks--where there is a concentration of pipe makers, like you wouldn't believe. There are also painters, glass blowers, sculptists, carpet weavers.

I visited the Luletasi Musesi, the Meerschaum Museum, and bought 4 pipes from three different pipe makers. Instead of opening all of my photos and saving them in a smaller file size to upload them, I started a wordpress site so you can see them all.

https://eskisehirphotos.wordpress.com/about/

istanbulin

Founding Member
It would be interesting, Jitterbugdude.

Eskişehir is really a nice place, everytime I travel by train from İstanbul to Ankara (or contrary) I always want to get off the train, what a pity that the highway is not passing nearby.
Most of the historic sites are generally located a little far from the city center but as I can see from the photos you visited Odunpazarı, those old houses are neat. Yazılıkaya (aka Midas city) is also a great place to see.
What was the Turkish pipe tobacco you bought ? There're two brands which are consisted of just Turkish tobaccos, "Türk Pipo Tütünü" and "Yayladağ". Yayladağ actually has Latakia in its blend but they might change the blend, I'm not smoking it for a long time.

ChinaVoodoo

It would be interesting, Jitterbugdude.

Eskişehir is really a nice place, everytime I travel by train from İstanbul to Ankara (or contrary) I always want to get off the train, what a pity that the highway is not passing nearby.
Most of the historic sites are generally located a little far from the city center but as I can see from the photos you visited Odunpazarı, those old houses are neat. Yazılıkaya (aka Midas city) is also a great place to see.
What was the Turkish pipe tobacco you bought ? There're two brands which are consisted of just Turkish tobaccos, "Türk Pipo Tütünü" and "Yayladağ". Yayladağ actually has Latakia in its blend but they might change the blend, I'm not smoking it for a long time.

I got Turk Pipo Tutunu. The woman who ran the cigar store I went to in Kadikoy said that she hasn't seen Yayladag in a very long time. I still have some Turk Pipo Tutunu, actually. I had meant to give it to a friend who I haven't seen in quite some time. I should bring it back to life. I'm sure it has dried out.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I've been planning to visit Tabac Turc's factory in İzmir at least for 2-3 years. It would be an interesting trip. According to their website, their two classic blends (Türk Pipo Tütünü and Yayladağ) never changed. They added 3 new aromatic pipe tobacco blends (cherry, vanilla and chocolate) but I'm really not interested in aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.