Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best Flue Cure to plant for cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickey60

This spring. I would like to grow mostly flue cure for cigarettes. That being said, what flue cure do you grow or have grown do you think would be some of the best to grow? I would like to grow about 4 or 5 different ones. I like a mild smoke and so does my wife. It won't be long before I need to get my seed. I got my soil sample back last week so I can get my patch ready.

DGBAMA

African Red was a spectacular grow. Leaf cured kind of thin though.

Oxford 940 and Dixie Bright 27 both grew well and were not fussy about yellowing properly.

bonehead

i grew big gem, del gold and african red last year. this is the second season for big gem because it matured faster and came in sooner than the other flue cured varieties, so it spread the harvesting and hanging out for my one person team. i also grow burley and oriental with a few cigar varieties thrown for fun.

Rickey60

i grew big gem, del gold and african red last year. this is the second season for big gem because it matured faster and came in sooner than the other flue cured varieties, so it spread the harvesting and hanging out for my one person team. i also grow burley and oriental with a few cigar varieties thrown for fun.
How did the big gem and the del gold taste? Smooth and mild?

bonehead

i grew dixie bright 27 and it was a mild tobacco. it will make good light ciggs depending if what you mix it with is not to strong or to much of a percentage of the total. my mother smokes light ciggs and really likes that one along with some oriental and a very small amount of burley.

bonehead

i really like big gem because it matures quick and makes a good tobacco for ciggs. it cures easily because it is harvested early when it is still hot and humid where i reside. it makes a lite to a lite medium cig without a strong throat hit. burly is what makes ciggs strong and firecured makes them stronger. (that is only my opinion though)

DonH

Virginia Bright Leaf is great. African Red is mild with thin leaves and more susceptible to disease. Del Gold is a bit stronger tasting than most. Big Gem tastes great and produces really well. I grew a lot of different ones this year but they aren't cured yet.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For your burley component, Harrow Velvet and Golden Burley are the mildest burleys I've grown. Harrow Velvet seems to produce better for me than Golden Burley.

Bob

grgfinney

I sent Mad Oshea some bamboo shoot after it came out of the kiln he said it was excellent , I have smoking it lately and it is very good with a little burley and some prilep awesome, oh yeah have to add a touch of fire cured

Status
Not open for further replies.