Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone raise Yak for Chow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

My dad has been up my butt to raise some steer for slaughter. This store bought meat sucks. He is willing to help with expenses.
I don't want to deal with cows, My wife's father used to raise them and now his son does.
I don't want to buy off him due to he treats them like crap. Under feed, dirty water and knee deep in shit. Dead calfs all the time. He can take them to market before I buy one.
There not cheap in the start but having like 4 to 5 might be worth the try.
Any Input?

Brown Thumb

They look good also. But i am trying trying to get away from bad fat.
Bacon, Bacon, Damn I love Fat.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Been around cows all of my life and home raised, grain fed is the best. Miniature cows usually dress out better meat percentages and are cheaper to feed. I have not eaten minature cows, but a butcher friend does, I sell him hay. I will tell you that grass fed beef is not the way to go, if you want good steaks, I killed one last year and will not do that again. My butcher asked me to pickout the carcass from another 12 to 15 and I could, no body fat. The fresh meat smells like grass.

DGBAMA

Home raised is tough. Best bet is let them graze to size then grain fed the last couple months. Have a butcher liked up or be ready for a lot of work. Pigs are a better return on investment for personal consumption.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, meat goat production can work well on small acreage, so long as you have excellent fencing.

meat-goat-photo_400.jpg

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/raising-meat-goats-25028.aspx

There are more people in the world eating goat than eating beef.

Bob

DGBAMA

Goat sounds funny, until you realize they are of the venison family, I would like to raise some myself.

DGBAMA

We did a couple pigs a year, get them as the summer tails off, raise until early summer when they start to stink the pen. Never had to deal with the smell in the heat of summer.

ArizonaDave

I've heard of it, but never tried Yak. Seems like that's in the beef family though. Now I've heard goat is good, but haven't tried it yet. They're easy to raise. Just fence them good. They ate my apricot tree.

Bex

I'm a vegetarian......The cattle over here is all grass fed, and certainly is very much different than grain fed beef. Frankly, from a monetary point of view, goats are probably the most viable, and you'll get milk and cheese, as well. Sadly, I would name them, keep them as pets and bury them in the garden with little headstones when the time comes....;)

DonH

Been around cows all of my life and home raised, grain fed is the best. Miniature cows usually dress out better meat percentages and are cheaper to feed. I have not eaten minature cows, but a butcher friend does, I sell him hay. I will tell you that grass fed beef is not the way to go, if you want good steaks, I killed one last year and will not do that again. My butcher asked me to pickout the carcass from another 12 to 15 and I could, no body fat. The fresh meat smells like grass.
Grass fed fat is way better for you than grain fed. Lots of Omega-3 fats.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Grass fed tastes far superior to grain fed beef.IMHO. What could bemore easier than rasing some beef on grass? No feed costs and typically no vet bills due to not feeding grains.

And I just can't get this song out of my head...

Take out the papers and the trash
Or you don't get no spending cash
If you don't scrub that kitchen floor
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
Yakety Yak... don't talk back!

Brown Thumb

My problem is my kids will get attached to smaller animals.
As for pigs, that wont happen, my wife and her dad raised them for years. When he passed on My wife would stop over the house after work to make sure her brother was taking proper care of them. I don't remember how many there was. Well over a dozen full grown but the barn burnt down one night in the winter and the pigs could not get out. Damn it stunk for months even after they were buried. My wife was devastated.

Status
Not open for further replies.